mistakes? and challenges

I love this hoppy. but I made a lot of mistakes I wish I can start. over with the same model but I love a challenge.

We were just having a similar discussion in another thread. I’m on my first wood ship, but I’ve been scale modeling for the better part of 45 years, and there isn’t a single model I’ve built that didn’t have some form of mistake, big or small. If you can go back and fix it, do so… if not, mentally deal with it and accept it as a learning experience for the next time.
It is humbling when you post your pictures on here in front of many with much more expertise, and you almost feel like you’re letting them down when you flub, but accept the criticism and realize 99.9% of anyone outside of this arena won’t even know that you made a mistake.

Well, as the inscription on the front page says "from beginner to expert" - everyone is welcome. I started SOS back around 2009 as I was frustrated and had no one to find to help. So, this forum is a result of wanting to help people build and be accepted in the group - it's also all about making new friends and community anyway.

I also look at my first build and think of the mistakes I made, then realize that was a learning experience. The next one didn't make that mistake but seemed to find another to make. Well that's a further learning experience. That is what experience teaches us, through mistakes. Keep the first one around to look at and be proud of what you made with the experience you had. You have learned!

I’ve been building models of many types all my life (I’m 70+ now) and i don‘t think I’ve ever built a “perfect” model. I say: do the very best you can and don’t worry about some “error” that only you know about. I believe that the main difference between a professional and an amateur is that an amateur will show you their model, but will then tell you it’s “ok” except for this or that feature. A pro will keep his mouth shut!
Also, even though you might try to be historically accurate, NO-ONE will know if something is amiss or not 100% accurate. At the end of the day, you’re building a representative MODEL, not the actual ship or airplane or car or whatever!
Build and enjoy!

I also believe that after reading SoS for awhile now, it seems like many “expert or professional“ builders don’t build a specific model once. They build the same model 2 or 3 times so their original mistakes are finally corrected.

Mistakes….. I can’t count that high !
my problem is forgetting them and making them again…. And probably once more to make sure it’s not right

Back