Model Boats for HMS Victory

Where can i find instructions how to make the boats for HMS Victory?

what scale. Caldercraft sell the set at 1:72. The plan set in the CC victory kit has instructions.
The longridge book has information. The Anatomy of the ship victory book has details.

Hi, unfortunately its not in the cc Manual, it on the plan sheets.

The AoTS is the best ref. But its at1:96. However the bulkead splits are on page 96 but can be scaled up.
Also the Victory kit build instructions on the Modelspace site have info.

The Panart Victory launch is another ref

I am sure that if your search google for something like "Index of /knihy" something will turn up, however I am not responsible for what you find.

Where can i find instructions how to make the boats for HMS Victory?
Hallo @JoeF ,
maybe you can describe a little bit more in detail which information you are asking for?
Is it the numbers and type of boats the HMS Victory had in real, means according the Royal Navy board regulations? - here it was definied strictly which boats a 1.st Rate Shipe of the line had to have - this can be found out in our libraries
or
A tutorial of how to build boats for a model? and the Victory is an example, than maybe the requested scale would be important to know
or
you are refering to a special kit from any producer, than maybe some of our members has already experience in this kit and is able to help.

Please do not misunderstood my post, a lot of members want to help and assist (like you relaized already by the replies), but some more information would be very helpful......

Last edited:
Hallo @JoeF ,
maybe you can describe a little bit more in detail which information you are asking for?
Is it the numbers and type of boats the HMS Victory had in real, means according the Royal Navy board regulations? - here it was definied strictly which boats a 1.st Rate Shipe of the line had to have - this can be found out in our libraries

Dear @JoeF ,
If your question is the principle numer of boats and which types on a First rate like the HMS Victory I just made a excerpt out of my Book Review FIRST RATE: The Greatest Warships of the Age of Sail written by Rif Winfield (taking a look with click on the books name)

IMG_224011.jpg

Here it is written:
"From a small suite of three or four boats in the seventeenth century, the requirement expanded until it might be as many as nine in 1838, ranging from a launch, through cutters and pinnaces to a gig, a jolly boat and a dinghy."

Thanks for your replies. The scale is 1:78 at it is scratch build from plans. I have posted two photos of the boat. I glued the .5mm strips to the bulkheads. Do I have to do second planking and how to remove the bulkheads? I think that I am doing something wrong.

Boat01.jpgboat02.jpg

HI, Joe. A second planking is normally only needed if the first is not sufficient to form a hull successfully.
When you do a small boat that needs the bulkheads removing, you normally only glue at the first and last bulkhead.
Anyway this is easily fixed.

Give the inside & outside a thinned out coat of pva. This will bind the planks together. In your case a second layer will help.

Remove the middle 4 bulkheads one at a time with a side cuter and trim back with a no 11. Cut to keel level as the floor will be covered.
Mot boats have ribbing so once you add this it will firm up.

Great Job. The AOTS shows the details of each of the 4 Victory boats

After I did the second planking and put the filler I removed the buklheads with a side cutter. I have to sand inside the boat for smooth finish before I glue the ribs. Bending two strips for the sides and glued as shown in these photos.

Attachments

• boat004.jpg
    boat004.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 4
  • boat007.jpg
    boat007.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 3
  • boat008.jpg
    boat008.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 3
Removing the bulkheads and cleaned by sanding inside with a cordless multi grinder, I started cutting and gluing the ribs on one side.

Attachments

• boat010.jpg
    boat010.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 4
  • boat011.jpg
    boat011.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 4
Removing the bulkheads and cleaned by sanding inside with a cordless multi grinder, I started cutting and gluing the ribs on one side.
Step by step a big improovement ..... the boat is looking much better

Back