Model mounting

I have noticed that some builders have some kind of screw mount into the keel of their model
i would like to do the same thing. I am building the Victory model Vanguard…quite a heavy model. Can anyone recommend a mount and where I may purchase it
Your help as always is very much appreciated

I'm doing that with my Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore II. I have a metal lathe which I used to make wood mounting posts. The posts need to be the correct heights to make the keel of the ship at the proper angle which might be difficult to do with ready made posts.
I am not using screws. I drilled my base (a gorgeous piece of Canarywood) and keel in the correct places, and am using a piece of heavy copper wire to set the ship onto. That way, at least while I'm still building, I can simply slip the ship off the base. It's a little rocky, but when I finally mount the ship I'll shim it vertically. Right now I have the keel in a building clamp that I jerry rigged. It lets me move the ship in three planes.

I'm not sure how screws would work on a really heavy model. I'd worry about the keel splitting if heavy screws were used without some kind of lateral support to supplement them.

I'm doing that with my Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore II. I have a metal lathe which I used to make wood mounting posts. The posts need to be the correct heights to make the keel of the ship at the proper angle which might be difficult to do with ready made posts.
I am not using screws. I drilled my base (a gorgeous piece of Canarywood) and keel in the correct places, and am using a piece of heavy copper wire to set the ship onto. That way, at least while I'm still building, I can simply slip the ship off the base. It's a little rocky, but when I finally mount the ship I'll shim it vertically. Right now I have the keel in a building clamp that I jerry rigged. It lets me move the ship in three planes.

I'm not sure how screws would work on a really heavy model. I'd worry about the keel splitting if heavy screws were used without some kind of lateral support to supplement them.
This is a great idea and solves one of the big challenges I've always had--you want to attach the base as soon as possible because it becomes truly impossible after rigging, etc., but while building you turn the ship and the base can get in the way and turning can weaken the fastening--great compromise, thanks!

One of the issues for preparing a model for a screw or bolt mount is to prep the keel area to receive the screw or bolt prior to any planking. At the point where you have finished setting up the false keel and bulkheads, or for a POF model when you still have open access to the keel area, determine the points where you will want to mount the model. Then decide on a screw mount or a bolt mount. If a screw mount add reinforcement blocks around the point where the screw will penetrate the keel. Then carefully pre drill the necessary pilot hole for the screw. The screw hole is a pilot hole sized so the screw will bite into the keel and up into the false keel. If you choose a bolt mount you pre drill the hole for the bolt and then set the nut above the keel. Make sure the nut is well anchored in place. Thus when you run the bolt up through the stand and into the keel it will catch the nut and you can tighten down the model in place. Thus mounting is a decision made very early on in the build. Hope this helps…

I have noticed that some builders have some kind of screw mount into the keel of their model
i would like to do the same thing. I am building the Victory model Vanguard…quite a heavy model. Can anyone recommend a mount and where I may purchase it
Your help as always is very much appreciated
Hallo @Roy Ford
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back