Model Shipways = Junk

I’ve also had similar issues my advise if you want excellent parts then buy an inexpensive 3D resin printer and produce your own parts there are several 3D programs for 3D printing that are free and very easy to learn and use. I have a 3D filament printer and I’ve printed some awesome parts for my1:98 scale victory. Look at my posts
Dickii44
The question of making the carvings for HMS Sovereign of the Seas hull decoration has been to either carve them from wood like Uwe did, or to purchase a quality resin 3-D printer, and use Blender to make high resolution figures. The model is not at that stage yet. I used to do 3-D modelling using Lightwave by Newtek, but that software is antiquated now and Blender is a better choice. A close friend stayed in 3-D animation professionally, and recommended the resin printer over the filament printer because of the higher resolution. The cost is higher, but the results are smoother. For linear parts like your grating, you can clean them up easily by sanding to make angled surfaces very smooth, but for tiny carvings that are only 1 cm in size and 2 mm thick, the resin printer may be the way to go as long as you don't mind the resin smell. :D I'm off to look at your HMS Victory build log...

Last edited:
I remember when Model Shipways was a quality source of model ship pieces parts. I could go into the local hobby shop (they are no longer around today either) and see display racks of parts packages...of which I often just browsed. Modeler's heaven! I have also built several Model Shipways kits. My latest kit I just got of the Missippee River steamer Chaperone. But I agree that the quality of their kits has declined over the years. In fact, the last few kits I have swapped out many parts for better...mostly gratings, blocks and cleats, cannons in most cases, and decking wood among others. So I expect that with any Model Shipways kit one gets today be prepared to seek out better quality parts as you see fit...although one could probably build a model with a lot of prep of the kit parts? Or, paint covers a multitude of sins?
The wood and parts on DeAgostini model is likewise cheapened and low quality. All the hull planking made of bamboo has been replaced with basswood, or better yet linden, and some of the decorations and hardwood for the second planking may be saved. However, the kit is aimed at beginners and the ship's design contains lots of simplifications that extra scratch building can improve upon.

Last edited:
Then there was also JBModel.eu (for those who can remember or ordered from them in the past). They were based in Vienna, Austria and made several quality parts including blocks and deadeyes, chains, etc. Last time I ordered was 2011.

Then there was also JBModel.eu (for those who can remember or ordered from them in the past). They were based in Vienna, Austria and made several quality parts including blocks and deadeyes, chains, etc. Last time I ordered was 2011.
Concerned about the low quality that appears to have infected some Model Shipways kit components, I recently chose to purchase their plans for the Emma C. Berry for $19 rather than the kit for $169. The plans were excellent and saved me having to purchase and replace a lot of the kit wood, blocks, rigging etc.

Concerned about the low quality that appears to have infected some Model Shipways kit components, I recently chose to purchase their plans for the Emma C. Berry for $19 rather than the kit for $169. The plans were excellent and saved me having to purchase and replace a lot of the kit wood, blocks, rigging etc.
I believe you will end up with a much better model doing it that way. The money you saved can be used to hand pick some of the materials and parts.

The big issue is being able to keep the prices reasonable for wood kits. Unfortunately wood prices world wide have gone through the roof. As such manifacturers have had to cut quality to keep their kit prices down. ie MDF rather than ply( birch costs have skyrocketed), laser cut rather than cnc as its more accurate on smaller pieces with little wastage ( more parts per board). So we either pay a premium so the company can survive or we get lesser quality for the same price in kits. The comptetion is strong in a small market and margins are not great. WIth kits comming out of asia ( AL now producing there), cost competition is stronger due to differing labour costs. The options are: pay more for std quality or pay same for lesser. Unfortunatey when you build a business on marginal profit, or boardroom memberts wanting better returns the choises are, increase price, lower quality or get out. The consumer just want best bang for buck and will go everywhere in this open business world to get it. Its no longer a closed world.

I’ve also had similar issues my advise if you want excellent parts then buy an inexpensive 3D resin printer and produce your own parts there are several 3D programs for 3D printing that are free and very easy to learn and use. I have a 3D filament printer and I’ve printed some awesome parts for my1:98 scale victory. Look at my posts
Dickii44

Yes, but is that ‘wooden ship modeling?’
The big issue is being able to keep the prices reasonable for wood kits. Unfortunately wood prices world wide have gone through the roof. As such manifacturers have had to cut quality to keep their kit prices down. ie MDF rather than ply( birch costs have skyrocketed), laser cut rather than cnc as its more accurate on smaller pieces with little wastage ( more parts per board). So we either pay a premium so the company can survive or we get lesser quality for the same price in kits. The comptetion is strong in a small market and margins are not great. WIth kits comming out of asia ( AL now producing there), cost competition is stronger due to differing labour costs. The options are: pay more for std quality or pay same for lesser. Unfortunatey when you build a business on marginal profit, or boardroom memberts wanting better returns the choises are, increase price, lower quality or get out. The consumer just want best bang for buck and will go everywhere in this open business world to get it. Its no longer a closed world.
Agree.

Anybody remember the A. J. Fisher catalog?? (probably shows my age!). I haven't ordered anything from them recently but that is where I used to get my copper plates for clipper ship hulls (no longer available) as well as other fittings which were of good quality. I just looked at their catalog No. 70 and they have several "Grating Cherry unassembled" and several "Grating Cherry assembled" on page 19. They used to be located in Royal Oaks, Michigan now Newburyport, MA. Anybody deal with them recently??
Yes, they are still around. Google: AJFisher.com. Kits, fittings, plans or pre carved hulls .

Try Cornwall model boats or in Aus Float a boat. They sell lots of ship parts.
If your after 3d stl models then try my mini factory, thingverse etc. A small resin printer can be obtained for around $300 US

Back