Model Shipways Skipjack Willie L. Bennett 1/32nd scale

I love the history of the fishing boats of Chesapeake Bay. I ordered the book "The Skipjack" by Steve and Patricia Rogers with detailed plans on building a model from scratch. Magic Mike

Hi Mike:
I've been fascinated with the nautical and maritime history of the Chesapeake Bay ever since living in St. Michaels, MD from 1985--1990. If you haven't discovered a couple of other books on the subject of Skipjacks, I'd highly recommend the following. "Chesapeake Bay Skipjacks by Pat Vojtech, "Skipjack-The Story of America's Last Sailing Oystermen" by Christopher White, and "Notes on Chesapeake Bay Skipjacks" by Howard I. Chapelle. Tidewater Publishers in Centerville, MD is a great resource for books on The Bay, as is the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels, MD. And the Nautical Research Guild has previously published detailed historical articles on Skipjacks, Pungy's and Bugeyes that you can download and print for a modest fee. Enjoy the journey!

Bert Shoemaker, Aiken, SC

Thanks Bert for the listing of books on Chesapeake Bay and Skipjacks. I'll see if I can order them for my collection. I am curious though....what is a Pungy and Bugeyes? Cheers, Magic Mike

Hi Mike:
Bugeyes and Pungy's are essentially larger versions of Skipjacks that are Schooner rigged with two masts instead of being Sloop rigged with a single mast. If you are a member of the Nautical Research Guild, you can download a very interesting two part article by John M. Bobbitt, MD titled "WAVE, a Chesapeake Bay Pungy". And I'll bet if you Google the three different names, Skipjack, Bugeye & Pungy, you'll come up with some more interesting historical information on these indigenous Chesapeake Bay workboats.
Best regards, Bert, Aiken, SC

Thanks again Bert. I have already ordered the Vojtech and White books on EBay. Like you said I'm doing some research on Bugeyes and Pungys. Thanks for your advice. Magic Mike

For those with an interest in workboats of the Chesapeake Bay, this is a very good kit with excellent plans of the classic Skipjack design, as well as first rate materials and instructions that have been on the market and available through Model Expo since 1981.

WORKBOATS, Aiken, SC
Hallo @Workboats
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back