For sale Model SHipways USS Confederacy Kit No: MS2262

I am sometimes wondering how the prices differ between different providers. I bought my model of the Confederacy back in Sept 2014 as an ebay offer for $ 310,09 plus $ 53,11 fees and shipping

Greetings

Werner

Hello Werner, i guess if I had to give an answer in short, it would be inflation. This kit would be a perfect example of that because when I purchased it about 4 or 5 years ago I paid $625 U.S + $64 for shipping from Model Expo and now like I said its $750. Alot of things on ebay are cheaper, if you can find them, so , it is a good place to go..

Darren

Hi Werner, I believe, during those years, the price went up for many reasons. The material cost went up for sure, and labor also went up, you have to pay employees to keep them happy :cool:, and yes the shipping costs went high skyrocketing. On another note, eBay sells the price you are willing to pay.

Hello Darren, Jim, thank you for your answers. Yes, it may be that eight years ago I was very lucky to discover the ebay offer when browsing the net for the model of the Confederacy. Yes, there is inflation, but the example of this special model showed me that there is a wide range of prices depending on the provider.

Werner

Hello Darren, Jim, thank you for your answers. Yes, it may be that eight years ago I was very lucky to discover the ebay offer when browsing the net for the model of the Confederacy. Yes, there is inflation, but the example of this special model showed me that there is a wide range of prices depending on the provider.

Werner
There is something called retail price and wholesale. If you buy a pair of jeans at your neighborhood Chique Boutique, you're buying retail, but if you go to China and buy a boatload of jeans directly from the manufacturer, you're buying wholesale. Obviously, because you are buying 1000ths of those Jeans, the price per pair would be much, much cheaper...then, in your own store, you put the price tag as you consider profitable...

yup, you're absolutely correct and if there is more than a few for sale you would obviously have to price yours accordingly.

I just visited Model Expo´s website, and in fact they are actually offering this model for $ 749,99 (plus shipping?).....imo this is too much, $ 500 I would say is ok.

I wish I could keep it, but, Im starting a scratch build of a 1/48 Le Fleuron and this will most likely take me 6-8 years to build if not more, im 51 now so time is running out haha, so many models so little time!
That' s true, enjoy your build!
I hope to finish my Confederacy next year, then I will continue with a started model of an AIDA cruise ship from Revell. After that I' m looking forward to build another historic sailing ship

I am sometimes wondering how the prices differ between different providers. I bought my model of the Confederacy back in Sept 2014 as an ebay offer for $ 310,09 plus $ 53,11 fees and shipping

Greetings

Werner
Another explanation for the lower price you paid could also be that some years back the owner of Model Expo used to offer substantial discounts on his kits.

That' s true, enjoy your build!
I hope to finish my Confederacy next year, then I will continue with a started model of an AIDA cruise ship from Revell. After that I' m looking forward to build another historic sailing ship
Same tough for me, I Will have 60 in septembre and my Bounty and HMS Fly are on the shelves. I hope I will have time for s POF kit or a big galeon !

Same tough for me, I Will have 60 in septembre and my Bounty and HMS Fly are on the shelves. I hope I will have time for s POF kit or a big galeon !
As a future build of an historic sailing ship I can imagine the POF kit of the sloop "Speedwell" which is actually developed by Chuck Passaro, see the topic at www.modelshipworld.com

As a future build of an historic sailing ship I can imagine the POF kit of the sloop "Speedwell" which is actually developed by Chuck Passaro, see the topic at www.modelshipworld.com
I saw it. Seem's really good as the Winchelsea. But it is a sloop. I wait for a real old big spanish galeon of good quality. I saw nothing in the market as POF. Dusek have the Nuestra Señora de la Concepción y de las Ánimas as POB. Or the Occre version of San Idelfonso wich I am not sure of the wood quality. I have the HMS Fly as a sloop (british) and do not want to make an another similar.
But thanks Wernerweiss for the idea. It is a good one, but not in my future project... If I have time for it.

Michel

Greetings

Werner
Looks like you did a huge bargain... That's a damn good kit!

I wish I could keep it, but, Im starting a scratch build of a 1/48 Le Fleuron and this will most likely take me 6-8 years to build if not more, im 51 now so time is running out haha, so many models so little time!
I'm 54 and I'm esperiencing your very same warries. "How many good models i'm allowed until I pass away" ... hahah!

Last edited:
Back