Model Trailways Conestoga Wagon 1:12 Scale

With the Concord Stage Coach completed I had the itch to complete one more of these types of vehicles before starting in earnest on my Bluenose. I selected the Model Trailways Conestoga Wagon. I’ll post some pics of the undercarriage structure soon. My impression of the kit is that it is in the same ball park as the Stage with a bit less detail and complexity. Wood and laser cuttings are all very good.
13F029D0-030D-4C71-B99F-7BBC416031B8.jpeg

So in the meantime you are a real fan of these kind of kits, or?
Looking forward to see one more interesting building log....

So in the meantime you are a real fan of these kind of kits, or?
Looking forward to see one more interesting building log....
I have become a fan of these kits. The quality of laser cutting, plans and instructions makes them an enjoyable build. The model subjects are far simpler than ship models so the difficulty level is reduced a bit. For me they are a change of pace. I started in modeling building plastic cars and planes then went to larger radio controlled planes. Ships have been the most complex builds of any for me. I also enjoy learning about the subjects I am modeling so it was fun reading about the history of stage coaches and I look forward to same with the wagon. The best advice I have seen on this and other forums is that it is most important to pick a model subject that you are personally interested in. To me, without that personal connection to your build it’s not really a hobby but a chore.

I have made progress on the undercarriage structures. These went together in a very straight forward manner, pretty much same as my stage coach build but much less integration of the undercarriage with the above wagon structure so not as much metal work. All parts were accurately cut and laser cutting was very good with minimal char. I also painted these structures as shown in pics. In the first photo note the ax at the front of the undercarriage and the hammer head(the hammer handle served as the connecting pole for the structure as well as a tool for use). In the second pic the black rod is for the brake mechanism. The brake handle will be attached after I add the wagon structure. The axles are wood on the wagon vs metal on a stage coach. Going forward I will post more detailed build steps in the log. 25BE6A07-467C-4DC9-A3E7-F6E70F86F3AB.jpeg995726B9-83A2-4059-ABEE-BD6095CA537F.jpeg

Hi Barry

Very nice and clean work.
Have you sprayed the parts or hand painted them.

Denis.
Denis, I have been hand painting the parts. It’s a bit more tedious than spraying but I actually enjoy it more. The photo etched parts were blackened then “painted” where needed with a small black sharpie.

With the under carriage largely done next up is the wagon box. Looking at the plans and instructions it appears very straightforward. The one piece sides make construction go quickly, the box outer sides require some fitting and cutting of support strips as well as brass rods connecting the box top to the box bottom. The numerous small photo etched parts are to be bent to form the brackets to hold the wagon’s canvas supports. There are two rows of 10 on each side. I am blackening all photo etched parts with a solution and touching up the black with a sharpie. Pic 4 below shows the two sides assembled. Next up will be the wagon front and back 7963979640796417964279643

This kit is very straight forward, far simpler than the Concord Stage Coach. I completed the front and rear gates and have been working on bending the roof bows. There is a forming jig included in the kit for this purpose which made the process simple. 80037800388003980040

With the sides and gates completed, all rivets and hardware added the next step was to put the wagon box together. This is done by first aligning the sides and securing first with the front upper bolster from the undercarriage and the cross beam. After these are added and sides are squared/plumb the remaining beams, except the gate beams are added. Once this work is done the rear gate is added. Each side has an extension that receives the gate which has openings in it. These openings are tapered holes. The kit made this tapering easy by creating offset holes on the parts that make up the gate top. Additional hardware is added for the gate latches. The gate is and rear cross beam are glued to the sides it does not operate on the model. The same process is followed for the front gate. Last step for the basic wagon box is to add to the floor boards. These are fitted and secured by small nails. 80044800468004780048

Focused on painting, staining and building a few of the features of the wagon box. First I made the lazy board, tool box and feed box. The tool box attached to the side of the wagon and the feed box will hang from the rear by chains. The lazy board attaches to the under side of the box right in front of the tool box. The lazy board was a seat the driver could sit on although it seems a bit risky to sit right behind the front wheel. I guess if your tired you take the risk. Traditional Conestoga Wagons were a lighted blue on the box. I decided to go with a deeper blue mixed with a bit of black to give it more depth, age and wear. I decided to stain the inside of the box and the feed box with a Provincial color stain by Varathane. I used the same stain on the double and single trees on the undercarriage. Next steps will be making the wagon wheels. 80556805578055880559

Progress continues on the Wagon. Similarly to the stage coach the kit provides patterns for the front and rear wheels, a wood jig and clear assembly instructions. I completed the wheels and painted them same red as undercarriage. The edges of the wheels are finished with a rubbery type material that is to simulate iron that was used on the real thing. The wheel hubs are made of aluminum. Anyone have suggestions on the best paint to use on metal? 811638116481165

Back