Modeler Builder Tool Craft Set Kit recommendations

Hi there, I am looking for a modeler building craft set kit to use for HMS Victory model.
I like one but it is not available for delivery to Ireland. Do you have any recommendations or maybe suggestions what to buy?
Link to Amazon: Modeler Builder's Tools Craft Set Kit
Thanks in advance
It is nice to have such a combination of small hand tools......but .....
The problem is with such kits, that there is also some tools inside, which you will never use in future (f.e. in your example are two screwdrivers and I am pretty sure, that you will never use the "electric polishing tool".
Also often the tools in such a kit have not the best quality. And with tools it is definitely so, that buying cheap you will buy minimum twice.
Take a look around in building logs, and you will fast see, which tools are used by the modelers.
And buy now the tools, which you will need for the hull construction, and wait with buying stuff for the rigging works - here you will have a lot more time.
Also with this way the investments are not so big in the beginning.

In addition to Uwe said, i don't think you would need a lot of tools now. Probably some files to remove char, a couple of hobby knives with replacement blades and clamps (a variety of clamps). Soon, when you start building you will get an idea what tools you will need...

Well...definitely will need a wood glue. There are number of brands, as well as types of wood glues and it usually comes down to a personal taste. I think you would not go wrong if you choose one of the Elmer's glues. Personally, I like Elmer's WoodGlue Max for framing job. It does dry clear and holds very strong, which is really important for the frame assembly.

Hi Max
I am 99.9% certain Cornwall model boats delivers to Ireland,they do deliver to everywhere else on the planet.Regarding glue,not all PVA's are the same.I use Deluxe Materials Aliphatic resin.Normal DIY stuff does not dry hard like an Aliphatic.It remains rubbery and can drag when sanding,e.g. in the joints between hull planks.
Cornwall Model Boats

Kind Regards

Nigel

Poly vinyl acetate or (PVA): best known as wood glue, white glue, carpenter's glue, school glue, Elmer's glue in the US, or PVA glue. Technically speaking it is just the different names for the same type of glue. Some companies add additional components to it , to modify charesteriskits like time to dry, transparency or other. The only way to find out what will work for you best - is to try!

I have found that Elmer's carpenters wood glue works very well for almost all gluing applications. It's my go-to glue for just about everything when working on ship models. It dries relatively quickly, hold strength is more than adequate and clean-up is easy. It's also relatively inexpensive. Not sure if it is available in Ireland but I'm sure you can find something similar. As far as tools go, I agree that a basic tool set of some hobby knives, clamps, files, a small hobby saw (such as exacto makes) and a small hobby plane are about all you need to get started. You can acquire other tools as you need them. Don't buy cheap tools - a well made tool will last a life time.

I would agree with these responses about tools...go to on-line hobby sites and get individual tools as you need them. X-Acto Hobby knives with no.11 blades for sure. Files and sanding sticks. Eventually you will appreciate a Dremel rotary tool with a variety of attachments...especially for sanding. Very small drill bits with a hand drill. You can fabricate many tools such as attaching sand paper to wood sticks. I know of ship modelers who use only no. 11 blade hobby knives, a few files, sand paper, and one or two drill bits. There are a variety of glues for wood. I use a craft glue that is a fast tack (sticks quickly) quick dry white glue that dries clear. Often labeled as "tacky glue." You will also need CA glues of various viscosity...commonly labeled as CA, CA+, CA++, and CA gel. You will use CA glues a lot actually. All of these are available on Amazon as well as hobby web sites. Have fun and ask questions!

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of what has been written here--you will accumulate what you need over time. But I would definitely get a good xacto kit, including a saw and mitre box. And a good set of files of all sizes. Not everyone would agree with me, but an electric plank bender will make your life a lot easier and I think improve the quality of your work. Good luck.

Back