Mold!!

I was about to put the finishing touches on Rattlesnake when I noticed something odd. All surfaces with black paint were hazy. So I lifted off the acrylic case and was hit with a distinct musty odor. Definite mold has settled in. The question I have is are there ways to remove the mold delicately without having to repaint all the black? It would be impossible to get to all the black areas with all the rigging in place. I tried brushing away with a paintbrush with very limited luck. I'd rather not paint on standard household chemicals as I don't want to damage the paint. Any help would be very welcome. Help!!mold.jpg

I was about to put the finishing touches on Rattlesnake when I noticed something odd. All surfaces with black paint were hazy. So I lifted off the acrylic case and was hit with a distinct musty odor. Definite mold has settled in. The question I have is are there ways to remove the mold delicately without having to repaint all the black? It would be impossible to get to all the black areas with all the rigging in place. I tried brushing away with a paintbrush with very limited luck. I'd rather not paint on standard household chemicals as I don't want to damage the paint. Any help would be very welcome. Help!!View attachment 314103
Good morning TKAM, in my opinion it is the paint with some problems, I would recommend you to do this huge job of removing all the black, wait for someone else to say something about how to advise you

A light brushover with some diluted household antifungal solution should clean up the affect areas. The concern here is how did the mold attack the black in the first place. Personally if it were my problem I'd wipe with a very diluted Janola (Bleach) solution.
Acrylic paints (Housepaints) can sometimes "go off" in the can and become quite smelly usually with an unpleasant onion odour. This doesn't affect the acrylic paint performance and the odour disipitates afters a few days perhaps weeks.

I found a solution of (polymerized linseed oil and beeswax) by (www.triedandtruefinish.com). It is an emulsion.
This is what I brush on my wood. It gives wood a great oil finish and protects with the beeswax. It might help with any mold issues. I also put a desiccant pack in the case.

It looks like the same shmutz is on the keel clamps. Trouble is that look isn't always flat. Alot of my old work looks like it has dust particles all-over, especially under magnification. I use a stiff bristle brush on metal or solid plastics and oil base paint surfaces to get rid of it, but I've avoided acrylics. I'll be interested to see what others come up with.

Wow…my first time seeing mold accumulate on a model in a case like this. Mold usually happens with excess moisture...most likely heavy humidity without a drying circulation. You will need to find a way to vent the case. As for removal that is a good question and I hope you get a good idea from the forum that works for you. Wiping, brushing, anti-mold solution such as Tylex all come to mind…let us know how you resolve this one!

I found a solution of (polymerized linseed oil and beeswax) by (www.triedandtruefinish.com). It is an emulsion.
This is what I brush on my wood. It gives wood a great oil finish and protects with the beeswax. It might help with any mold issues. I also put a desiccant pack in the case.
Hallo @Kendall T Buck
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back