Monitor BlueJacket kit K1035 1/16’’ = 1 foot

Monitor BlueJacket kit K1035 1/16’’ = 1 foot
Note a combo can be obtained Monitor and Virginia kit K1037

BlueJacket is the oldest American ship model company. It has been in operation since 1905 I visited their store some year ago I really felt like I was in a museum.
If you're interested here is a little video of their installation
The model is I think a very old model no idea of its date of design.
It is a model solid hull type, the first of this type that I will make at first sight the model is really simplistic there are 4 steps in the construction
Sanding the hull,
The marking of the bridge,
The construction of the propulsion system
The construction of the turret
The wood is basswood a soft wood that asks not to hurry
So the hull had to be sanded with great care
This was followed by the marking of the bridge to note that of the type of wood basswood the marking of the plates of the bridge was easy in the sense of the grain of the wood (direction of the horizontal bridge) by cons in the opposite direction impossible to just engrave with a knife without causing damage to the wood. So I had to use another method and gently just make cuts in the deck.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

Well for propeller and rudder 7
We must dig the well in the block of the hull 8, 9
The propeller and the rudder are install the part circle in red was made from my drop of PE from the France no indication in the instructions other than what is on the plane 10
The hull bottom part finish 11
The bridge is completed by the addition of the 4 access hatches of the 2 door pennants and 2 cleats and a small block for the pilot house therefore very minimalist 12
Probably the most difficult part of the turret model
The kit comes with a plastic template to form the wall of the turret that is not the same diameter as the grid that serves as a roof so I did not use it
The instructions give no suggestion for the floor so I cut in a 1mm plywood drop the same diameter as the grid. I and made the shape of the wall by adjusting it to the floor and the roof, the instructions say to make an overlap and hold the wall with a piece of cardboard. I opt for a non-overlapping fit and make the joint solid 13
Add 3 more columns that simulate some internal structure and done 14
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG

The painting very simple as the whole of the model
As support 3 small studs
The hull equivalent to Floquil Boxcar Red = Tamyia XF64
Ref: https://www.microscale.com/Floquil Color Chart.pdf
Painted inside the turret (the plan just says to paint) is gray medium
Matt black superstructure
Take + - 30h
Finally a little simplistic kit

Just 3 things that take time
Sanding, a soft wood so it demand some precaution
The well for the propeller
The turret
The instructions are very basic for those who need specific details (like me) its lack of details but with a little research is still going well
16.JPG
17.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG
20.JPG

i was wondering how you scored the deck without getting frayed edges
ges.

Back