Montañés by Sevish - OcCre kit

So no rest for the wicked, my next build will be The Montañés from OcCre.
Will star a full build log here on Labor day May 1st.

Some brief history of the Montañés (Wikipedia):

Montañés (class) was a 74 gun third-rate Spanish ship of the line.
Design was prepared by Julián Martín de Retamosa ,Following José Romero y Fernández de Landa's system under which the San Ildefonso class had been built.
Ordered in November 1792
Launched in November 1794
She was much faster than other ships of the same era, reaching 14 knots downwind and 10 knots upwind.
In 1795 she fought a French force of 8 ships of the line (including one three-decker) and 2 frigates single-handed in the bay of San Feliu de Guíxols - thanks to her superior speed, the Montañés managed to get within range of a coastal artillery battery, forcing the French to break off the chase.In June 1805 she was put under the command of Captain Francisco de Alcedo and made part of Alcalá Galdiano's division, defending Cadiz from a possible British attack. At the Battle of Trafalgar she was assigned to the second division of Gravina's squadron. the ship lost only 20 dead including the capitan and his deputy, and 29 wounded in the battle. And was able to recapture the Santa Ana and Neptuno after their capture by the British.
commanded by José QuevedoThe Montañés took part in the capture of the Rosily Squadron at Cadiz. She also made several voyages to the Canary Islands, Balearics and Havana before being lost in a heavy storm on 10 March 1810.

Some illustrations of the Montañés from the naval museum in Madrid

j1876.jpg
exterior-costado-navio-74-1024x362.jpgproa-navio-74.jpgpopa-navio-74.jpg

more decks illustration and purposes can be found here:

The kit:
1/70
LENGTH 1250
HEIGHT 895 mm
WIDTH 470 mm

IMG20240324220911.jpg
IMG20240326221015.jpgIMG20240326221500.jpgIMG20240326222430.jpgIMG20240326222833.jpgIMG20240326223323.jpg
IMG20240326221819.jpg

Cheers
Guy

IMG20240326221421.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So no rest for the wiked , my next build will be The Montañés from OcCre.
Will star a full build log here on Labor day May 1st.

Some brief history of the Montañés (Wikipedia):

Montañés (class) was a 74 gun third-rate Spanish ship of the line.
Design was prepared by Julián Martín de Retamosa ,Following José Romero y Fernández de Landa's system under which the San Ildefonso class had been built.
Ordered in November 1792
Launched in November 1974
She was much faster than other ships of the same era, reaching 14 knots downwind and 10 knots upwind.
In 1795 she fought a French force of 8 ships of the line (including one three-decker) and 2 frigates single-handed in the bay of San Feliu de Guíxols - thanks to her superior speed, the Montañés managed to get within range of a coastal artillery battery, forcing the French to break off the chase.In June 1805 she was put under the command of Captain Francisco de Alcedo and made part of Alcalá Galdiano's division, defending Cadiz from a possible British attack. At the Battle of Trafalgar she was assigned to the second division of Gravina's squadron. the ship lost only 20 dead including the capitan and his deputy, and 29 wounded in the battle. And was able to recapture the Santa Ana and Neptuno after their capture by the British.
commanded by José QuevedoThe Montañés took part in the capture of the Rosily Squadron at Cadiz. She also made several voyages to the Canary Islands, Balearics and Havana before being lost in a heavy storm on 10 March 1810.

Some illustrations of the Montañés from the naval museum in Madrid

View attachment 437759
View attachment 437760View attachment 437761View attachment 437762

more decks illustration and purposes can be found here:

The kit:
1/70
LENGTH 1250
HEIGHT 895 mm
WIDTH 470 mm

View attachment 437456
View attachment 437767View attachment 437769View attachment 437771View attachment 437772View attachment 437773
View attachment 437770

Cheers
Guy

View attachment 437768
I’ve pulled up my chair- enjoy.

looking forward to your build log. I quite enjoyed your Santisima Trinidad build.
I have both ships in my collection so I will be doing them at some point in time.

I’ve pulled up my chair- enjoy.
Thank you ,
hopefully this build will be much easier to understand.
No rest, full power !
Full power ! :cool:Thumbsup
looking forward to your build log. I quite enjoyed your Santisima Trinidad build.
I have both ships in my collection so I will be doing them at some point in time.
Thank you.
i'm hoping that the Montañés will be more fun and enjoyable to build now that i'm know what to do .
I'm waiting to watch your builds as well.
I hope you have AL Santísima , with other buikd logs it's seems much superior model to OcCre's one.

Last edited:
I will be starting this kit next week. I am finishing the HMS Beagle now and should start the Montanes next Monday or Tuesday. I shall watch with much interest your build.

I will be starting this kit next week. I am finishing the HMS Beagle now and should start the Montanes next Monday or Tuesday. I shall watch with much interest your build.
Great !
Let me know so i will also follow your build :D

Back