MS Mayflower question from newbie

Hello all. I've been a long time member but I 've just started my first wooden ship model. It is the Model Shipways Mayflower and, as expected, I have a question on the first main task, tapering the bulkhead former.

My question is this: When I am tapering the stern from the bearding line to the rabbet should I also bring down the rabbet width to be flush with the width of the bulkhead former(i.e. 3/32")? At first I thought I should but I have a nagging feeling that this defeat the purpose of the rabbet, as I understand it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dan

I haven't started to cut wood yet so I don't have any pictures. But I've attached a clip from the manual showing it's images along with a description of what to do.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps if you included as picture of the bulkhead former from the stern view it might help as I suspect it needs to be tapered evenly on both sides from the bearding line down to the rabbit strip.

Bill

That's how I understand it but what I am not sure is if the width of the rabbet should also be tapered to the 3/32" , or should it be left at its original width (1/8") and the taper is just for the bulkhead former.

Hi Dan,

Yes the rabbet will be part of the tapering as the planking will be fitted over the rabbet also. The area of the stern will be tapered from the bearding line from top to bottom as well as from bow to stern. This means the planking will create a nice flow along the hull from top to bottom as from the bow to stern. The 3/32 diameter is only reached at the very end of the keel on the stern.

The manual says: This means you will actually be reducing the thickness of the rabbet strip somewhat also.

Hope this helps.

Regards Maarten

I apologize if these are dumb questions but I have to admit that I am a little confused about this feature.

The way you describe Maarten is how I originally read it. But when I thought of what the rabbet is supposed to be, a 'ledge' that the plank will rest in, I thought that I was interpreting the instructions wrong. So if the rabbet follows the taper from the bearding line then why do I need the rabbet strip at all? Where is the 'ledge' that the plank will sit in? And wouldn't it work the same if the keel was lengthened by the 1/16" thickness of the strip that is supposed to be the rabbet.

Thanks (and sorry),
Dan

Hi Dan,

I think the rabbet is helpfull only for the part where the planks are attached under a angle with the keel. At the stern the planks are even with the keel and the rabbet is loosing its function. If I am right the model is mounted with a false keel when the planking is finished and the false keel is added on top of the rabbet. This means the rabbet is invisible when the model is finished and should be covered at the stern by means of the planking and therefore should be even with the thickness of the keel.
It is actually the first model where I have seen the use of a rabbet. Normally the planks along the keel will be fitted in a slot in this case they create that with the rabbet.

Regs Maarten

OK, I'll just go with my initial interpretation of the instructions and have faith.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Dan

Back