MS Queen of the Isles Ferry GB, 1965 1:250

While searching the internet for free downloads of paper/card model kits I came across an outfit called the Paper Shipwright located in England. They offer several models that are free downloads and even more that are relatively inexpensive. The Queen of the Isles is one of the free kits. It is printed on three 8.5" x 11" sheets. The sheet that includes the framework I laminated heavy cardstock to while the other sheets I just laminated an extra sheet of printer paper to add stiffness. Some of the deck fittings are built up from several separate pieces which add to the 3d effect. I started the kit and got to the point where the hull was to be attached and ran into trouble as apparently I didn't do such a good job assembling the framework and it was slightly over sized making it impossible to get a good joint at the bow and stern. So, I printed out new sheets and started over. This time I was very careful to make my cuts just inside the lines and also overcut the slots where intersecting parts of the frame, the spine and the bulkheads, crossed each other allowing for some adjustments. I also eliminated many of the tabs at places where they were unnecessary. I am using a thick CA glue as it doesn't run and ruin the exterior look of the ship. I ran into a problem trying to attach the promenade deck house. It is two pieces and I couldn't figure out how they went together as there was no diagram with the instructions for that portion of the assembly. I sent an email to the folks at the Paper Shipwright explaining the problem and surprisingly I got a response the same day. They apologised for the confusion which was caused by some mislabeling of the two parts and included a pdf file showing how the two parts go together. Here are some images showing my progress to date.

First try 001.jpgFirst try 002.jpgFirst try 003.jpgFirst try 004.jpgFirst try 005.jpground 2 001.jpground 2 002.jpground 2 003.jpground 2 004.jpground 2 005.jpground 2 006.jpground 2 007.jpgcorrected area 001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good Bob. Canon Creative Park website have several model ships that you can download for free. If you look under paper craft,
Cheers Andy

Hoi Bob, every beginning is dificult, dont give up is the message.
Theare lots of sites where you can learne the basics of paperbuilding.
Greetings Jos.

Well I have finally gotten over my funk from being expelled from that other ship modelling forum and have made some progress on the Queen of the Isles. The easiest part of the build has been completed. Now it is on to adding the detail work. Determining what I will make from the paper parts supplied vs. what I can make from other materials is now the task in hand. The bollards I think I will make from the abundant supply of small nails I have on hand while I plan to make the railing stanchions from some heavy copper wire. Here are some pictures of where I'm at now.
superstructure progress 004.jpgsuperstructure progress 005.jpg

This ship has two lifeboats and I haven't been successful at forming even one from the paper parts in the kit. I figure I have two other viable options. The first is to try to carve a couple out of blocks of wood, the second is to order at least one from shapeways 3D printing. I have a resin molding kit I bought a couple of months ago which I haven't even opened yet, so if I get one from shapeways I can use it to make a master mold and then cast a couple of boats in resin. 1:250 is a common paper kit scale so I would have the mold available for future builds. I have never attempted to mold anything in resin but I guess there is no time like the present.

Reactions: Jos
Nice work
The ability to use or create your own variation is what I love about ship modelling. It becomes a personal build, not a production copy.
Keep up the great work.

This model has sat on my kitchen table for over a year now with little or no progress to report. Too many other distractions and a short stay in the hospital due to contracting double pneumonia last summer. But my modeling urges are slowly returning so I may end up adding some details in the near future.

Back