• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

My 1/72 scale aircraft

Yes, definitely interesting. It entered service in 1937 as a Navy torpedo bomber. It was considered a cutting edge aircraft at the time. But by 1942 when it saw action after Pearl Harbor at the Battle of the Coral Sea, it was already becoming obsolete. It sank ships in that battle (Coral Sea), but suffered large casualties at the battle of Midway, and was replaced by the Grumman Avenger afterwards. The biggest problem was the low speed and low approach in a straight line to drop the torpedoes, which made them sitting ducks for the Zeros and anti aircraft guns. If I remember correctly the maximum speed to drop the torpedoes was around 115 mph at around 120 ft altitude. So part of their demise was the torpedoes and their performance.
Corrugated skins find themselves in the spotlights again, this time related to morphing aerodynamic surfaces.

The interbellum saw the introduction of quite a few substandard aircraft, which became apparent in the early stages of the conflict. To name two, the Dutch operated the Brewster Buffalo and the Martin Model 166, but both aircraft were already obsolete before they entered service.
 
Corrugated skins find themselves in the spotlights again, this time related to morphing aerodynamic surfaces.

The interbellum saw the introduction of quite a few substandard aircraft, which became apparent in the early stages of the conflict. To name two, the Dutch operated the Brewster Buffalo and the Martin Model 166, but both aircraft were already obsolete before they entered service.
Very true!
 
TBD-1 Devastator update…
It was time to paint the wings.

First some white primer was in order.
Next I put on a medium yellow. And started putting on some decals…


There are many more to go, but it’s starting to show some promise.
The decals on the ridges of the wing were a lot of work to get them to look painted on…


But once I get some clear varnish on, it will look better. After all decals are on, I can finish the weathering.
Then it’s all the rest of the pieces to finish her.

See ya next time…
 
Last edited:
Finished the decals, except for under the wings. This will be done when I finish everything under the airplane.
Then I did some weathering around the rivets and in the edges of the ailerons, elevators and rudder. And I just realized I have to paint the foot steps (small rectangular openings), on the side of the fuselage, black.
Then I painted and added the exhaust pipes.
She’s looking good now, so I’m starting to get excited.


Then I started on the propeller…just have to paint the tips now…


And a top view…


Well that’s it for now.
I have to finish the prop, then the landing gear, wheels and tires, scoop for under wing, arrestor hook, and antenna. Then she will be done. So I am on the home stretch.
I’m looking forward to getting her on the shelf next to the Dauntless and Wildcat, as they were the main aircraft involved in the Battle of Midway.

See ya next time.
 
Last edited:
You are certainly in your element, Dean. Nicely done.
Thank you Paul!
I guess I really like painting…and making a scaled model look realistic has always appealed to me. Airplanes being my favorite subject has kept me busy with my plastic model collection. I do need to get back to my ship eventually. But for now I am having too much fun building my airplanes. ;)
I appreciate you checking in on me and my work.
 
To me the corrugated wing skins and the high relief fuselage rivets, not to mention an awesome paint job make this plane a visual standout in your collection.
WOW! You have inspired me to try and up my game on plastic when I jump back into airplanes.
 
To me the corrugated wing skins and the high relief fuselage rivets, not to mention an awesome paint job make this plane a visual standout in your collection.
WOW! You have inspired me to try and up my game on plastic when I jump back into airplanes.
Thanks Daniel! Glad I can still inspire other people.
I am thinking I want to do a P-51 in the bare-metal aluminum film. ;) But I have so many that I want to get on the shelves, so that will have to wait.
 
Update… installed the landing gear, torpedo and arrestor hook.

I always support the airplane while the landing gear glue is drying. That’s when I glue all parts that go underneath the aircraft.

Here is a great pic I found…


Time to wrap up this build…only a few items left, the propeller and antenna and a few touch ups. Oh yeah, and the ammo belt for the rear machine gun. ;)
 
Last edited:
TBD-1 Devastator completed!
First let’s look at what we used to make a nice model.

The Airfix kit by itself is very basic and has a lot of flash, lines and sprues to clean up off the parts. And the parts are not that detailed. The highlight of the kit is the great job they did on the fuselage rivets and the wings.
So aftermarket companies came to the rescue. The White Ensign Models interior PE kit was a real life saver adding much needed interior details. Then the Starfighter Decals set was a definite improvement over the stock decals that were dull and fuzzy looking.
That said, with aftermarket embellishments and a lot of patience, it makes a very nice model.
Pics…


Note the ammo belt on the rear gun…a nice addition with the PE kit! ;)


Well I think that’s enough pics, hopefully there are some decent ones. I’m not a photographer so I just take multiple pics with different lighting and angles and hope I get a few good ones! ROTF

And finally on the shelf …

Note the Grumman TBF Avenger that replaced it is right behind or above it.

And the rest of the Midway lineup…

There is two SBD-3 Dauntless aircraft to the left of it, and to the left of that is two of the Grumman F4F Wildcat aircraft. Notice I have a yellow wing pre-war version of each and a WW2 camo version. I may build a camo version of the TBD-1 Devastator as well. Only time will tell…

See ya next time…
 
Last edited:
And finally an updated photo of the collection (77 aircraft and counting) as of the TBD-1 Devastator build…


Next up I am going to build the Grumman F7F Tigercat.

It’s an old Monogram kit, and will have a few challenges, but I am looking forward to adding it to my collection!

See ya then…
 
Last edited:
Up next is the F7F Tigercat…

It’s an old Monogram kit…and I do mean old! ;) The cockpit is empty. You glue the pilot to the back where the head rest is. No seat, no floor, no control stick, etc. The only other thing is an instrument panel decal.
So…I got out my spare parts box and found a seat, and some flat plastic pieces to frame out the bottom, and then I created a control stick from scratch. That’s a definite improvement.

The fuselage halves are not glued yet. Once they are I can finish the head rest and the dash area. But the pilot is painted. I may darken his googles more. They seem a bit light in contrast to the skull cap.

Anyway, I ordered an engine upgrade kit…

It is resin parts, looks like the supports will have to be cleaned up. So this should help make the kit a little more detailed. The kit parts are a one piece engine nacelle and engine. So only the very front of the engine is present. I will show a comparison once I get to that part of the build.

I have to finish the nose gear so I can join the fuselage halves and then I can start sanding and getting it ready for the other pieces.

See ya next time…
 
Last edited:
Quick update on the F7F Tigercat…
Weight added to nose and fuselage halves glued together after completing the nose gear assembly.

Then the rear wings were added. Initial sanding on the fuselage has begun.


Nose gear and wheel above…



Painting done for cockpit area and dash.

Next will be small putty underneath the fuselage and final sanding, then the assembly of the main landing gear…

See ya next time…
 
Last edited:
Finished the decals, except for under the wings. This will be done when I finish everything under the airplane.
Then I did some weathering around the rivets and in the edges of the ailerons, elevators and rudder. And I just realized I have to paint the foot steps (small rectangular openings), on the side of the fuselage, black.
Then I painted and added the exhaust pipes.
She’s looking good now, so I’m starting to get excited.
View attachment 573026
View attachment 573027View attachment 573028View attachment 573029View attachment 573030View attachment 573031View attachment 573032
Then I started on the propeller…just have to paint the tips now…

View attachment 573034
And a top view…

View attachment 573035
Well that’s it for now.
I have to finish the prop, then the landing gear, wheels and tires, scoop for under wing, arrestor hook, and antenna. Then she will be done. So I am on the home stretch.
I’m looking forward to getting her on the shelf next to the Dauntless and Wildcat, as they were the main aircraft involved in the Battle of Midway.

See ya next time.
Very cool
 
Nothing to show on the F7F yet, but I wanted to take the opportunity to say a little about “Bud” Anderson…
IMG_1894.jpeg
IMG_1895.jpegIMG_1899.jpegIMG_1898.jpegIMG_1896.jpeg
He started out in a P-39Q Airacobra, that was the first Old Crow, then he went on to fly the P-51 Mustang, the Old Crow most people are familiar with. And finally he flew the F-105 Old Crow.
Quite the pilot and blessed with a long life. His son was also a pilot and flew an F-4 Phantom in Vietnam.

Back when I have an update on the F7F…still waiting on the motors …
 
Back
Top