My first build took me 38 years!!

Hello,

First let me introduce myself, I'm Francois, a french guy from north of Montreal in Quebec.
Back in the summer of 1984 (I was 21 then), I started the Rhoda Mary kit from AL. I had time to do the hull with the first layer of hull planking plus the deck planking before meeting my current wife. Needless to say that my priorities quickly changed and the boat went back in the box. Thru every house move, the job, raising the kids... I kept it with me saying to myself that one day I would complete it. Well that day came last march. So I'm happy to say that after 38 years, the build is finally done. Is that a records of some sort? Longest build ever? Youngest kid to start a build like this? Youngest AND loneliest kid to start a build like this? Anyway, It’s done and I'm very happy with the result. After all, it's my very first wooden boat , although I did build a real 24 foot wooden sail boat 10 years ago. For my next project, I was looking to build a wooden airplane. I know that the Sopwith Camel is very popular but I was thinking more of the Model Airways Fokker Eindecker E-IV 1:16 kit. As anyone done this kit? Pros and cons?

thank you

20220620_092112.jpg20220620_092131.jpg20220620_092146.jpg20220620_092208.jpgEindecker-Final-20.jpgEindecker-Final-03.jpg

38 years! That’s got to be some sort of a record. Just having it survive that long with moves and other life activities is remarkable.
As far as the Model Airways, go for it but don’t take 38 years :)

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
38 years time - and a fine model as a result - very good made.
Our member @Dean62 made already some of these interesting aeroplane kits.
Hope to see your in a building log

Your devotion and persistance to complete your model after so many years is remarkable. Most projects of that age would have ended up in garage sales or land fill sites long ago. I would say you are ready for any model commitment you choose. Keep up the good work.

Back