My first model - caravel "La Niña" 1:72 scratch.

That's very good work in my opinion Dave and I hope you continue with this hobby. You'll find that after a few ships you'll graduate to bigger models and as you grow with experience, bigger models yet.Your age really has nothing to do with ship building except that as you get older you'll find more time for it. I just turned 82 and I'm starting a new model ship of the Great Republic, which was very large for the time, clipper ship built by Donald McKay in East Boston, Massachusetts. I'm about ready to start a build for it on SOS so you might take a look at it. It is no more complicated to build a large scale ship than a small scale ship, it just has bigger parts. Your work is excellent and I hope to see a lot more from you. I hope you and your family are in a safe place. One amazing aspect of this hobby is that people will find a space to build a model under just about any conditions. Norgale
Norgale thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it. Yes, if everything goes well, then I will continue working on my project and show you the results. I wish you success with the construction of your clipper ship model.

Good to see, that old boxes for medicine pills have a new task
Very good work on the blocks :cool:

Hello. Unfortunately, I only took two photos during the manufacturing process, but I hope you can understand. First I cut the lamella to the desired thickness and width. The next step is to apply the cleat image to the lamella. I cut out the desired piece and cut off the excess wood with a utility knife and shape it using a triangular file. After this I make a concave shape at the top of the cleat. I end up drilling 0.6mm holes for the nail (I also make them myself). By the way, I also made the lamella myself from cherry logs. I hope I was able to help you.

IMG_20240123_181804.jpg

IMG_20240123_183253.jpg

Boat, version 0.2.

Well, the previous boat turned out wrong, unfortunately. My more experienced colleagues, my compatriots, showed where the mistakes were made, and also sent instructions on how to properly manufacture the boat, for which I am grateful to them. After that, I started making a new version of the boat and this is what I came up with.

IMG_20240310_133022_421.jpg

IMG_20240310_133022_581.jpg

IMG_20240310_133022_343.jpg

IMG_20240310_133022_743.jpg

IMG_20240310_133022_667.jpg

IMG_20240310_133022_761.jpg
In fact, this boat is not ideal, but it’s still better than the previous one, so I’ll probably leave it as the final option. Subsequently, I will transfer the oars and hook from the old version into it, and also make a barrel and a rope folded into a coil.

Thanks @mleonc . Yes, I have Niña’s drawings and there are about eight or nine of them and they are all from different authors :). Several of them are from wooden kits. When I need to check some detail or something else, I refer to them. I also downloaded many photographs of finished models of this caravel and use them as well as drawings.
We need to think about how to provide them to you. Maybe through private messages? In any case, it's worth a try.

Back