• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

My Intro

Beautiful work Ken. Outstanding! I remember the old girl, she was a really good boat. I understand about not liking to do build logs and sitting at a computer etc.

I’m currently doing some homework on traditional boats used here on the Gulf Coast, luggers (basically cargo and whatever you needed them for) in particular which have really piqued my interest.

I’m thinking of doing my first scratch build and a lugger appeals to me. I got into modeling when I wanted a model for display for my new home renovation and I thought “what kinda boats are most common here on the Florida Gulf Coast?” Well, around here it’s crabbers and shrimpers so my first build was a Billing Boats Krabbencutter (German shrimper). I’m on my fourth build and I want to try my hand at scratch building.

One of my fellow modelling club members gifted me a RC tugboat which will be my first RC model. Your work is amazing and something to really look up to :)
 
Thanks for the kind words. Since I lived in South Belmar and we had a boat in Shark River, I was always around the party boats. So why not build a bunch of those boats. And that is what I am doing, scratch build 3-5 of those boats. Two down 1-3 to go.

I like scratch building. But it takes longer to get a boat done since you have to make everything. I do have a bunch of kits to build besides the Essex and Cutty Sark. I will be busy for a long while.
 
Beautiful work Ken. Outstanding! I remember the old girl, she was a really good boat. I understand about not liking to do build logs and sitting at a computer etc.

I’m currently doing some homework on traditional boats used here on the Gulf Coast, luggers (basically cargo and whatever you needed them for) in particular which have really piqued my interest.

I’m thinking of doing my first scratch build and a lugger appeals to me. I got into modeling when I wanted a model for display for my new home renovation and I thought “what kinda boats are most common here on the Florida Gulf Coast?” Well, around here it’s crabbers and shrimpers so my first build was a Billing Boats Krabbencutter (German shrimper). I’m on my fourth build and I want to try my hand at scratch building.

One of my fellow modelling club members gifted me a RC tugboat which will be my first RC model. Your work is amazing and something to really look up to :)
BigBad - If you're into traditional working fishing boats and you want to try your hand at scratch building, I would recommend you take a look at 2 scratch builds that fit your brief: 1. The Chesapeake Bay deadrise oyster / crabbing boat from plans in "The Fundamentals of Model Boat Building" by John Into & Nancy Price; and 2. The North Carolina Spritsail Skiff crabbing / oyster boat from plans in "Model Boat Building: The Spritsail Skiff" by Steve Rogers & Patricia Staby-Rogers. I just built the Chesapeake Bay deadrise as my first scratch build and it was lot of fun. You can see my build log attached. My next scratch build in this series is the Spritsail Skiff, which is a notch tougher because it will be my first scratch rigging of a fishing vessel. The Skipjack and Menhaden Steamer (both from Shiffer Books) are a level above that with more complex rigging and hulls. Good luck!

 
Last edited:
BigBad - If you're into traditional working fishing boats and you want to try your hand at scratch building, I would recommend you take a look at 2 scratch builds that fit your brief: 1. The Chesapeake Bay deadrise oyster / crabbing boat from plans in "The Fundamentals of Model Boat Building" by John Into & Nancy Price; and 2. The North Carolina Spritsail Skiff crabbing / oyster boat from plans in "Model Boat Building: The Spritsail Skiff" by Steve Rogers & Patricia Staby-Rogers. I just built the Chesapeake Bay deadrise as my first scratch build and it was lot of fun. You can see my build log attached. My next scratch build in this series is the Spritsail Skiff, which is a notch tougher because it will be my first scratch rigging of a fishing vessel. The Skipjack and Menhaden Steamer (both from Shiffer Books) are a level above that with more complex rigging and hulls. Good luck!

Ignatius, Steve and Patricia Rogers also published " The Skipjack" 1996 with complete building plans. Regards, Magic Mike
 
Back
Top