My Last plank on frame model

I completed this one about 40 years ago. The hull was just under a foot long. As usual, rigged with wire. Frames sawn out of three ply and planked with 1/16th inch thick obeche strips. After that, I moved on to miniatures. No doubt you will recognise it - it is the Scottish Maid, a very popular subject.
Bob
Scottish Maid (Large).jpg

Thanks - I don't have much patience, and don't really like planking. The scale of the Scottish Maid was enormous for me!:D After it was in the case, it was bigger than ever! - Really prefer small scales -
Bob
View attachment 141616
Too many excuses Bob!Just man up and do it Lol.

Bob - that is an outstanding model!!! But I would really LOVE to see you do one with color photography.

The brig was nothing special. It was planked with sycamore veneer! Here is a coloured picture of Flower of the Fal. This one, although planked, is only waterline, and even the sea is wood veneer. The scale is 10 feet to 1 inch (1/120), so again, rather large for me. But the usual inverse rules always seem to apply. If ship model builders love them, collectors don't. If collectors love them, model shipbuilders don't!:)
Bob
Flower of the Fal (Large).jpg

Back