My latest aquisition : Genmitsu CNC 3018-Prover with extras

I made some trial with the cnc. It seem very sturdy and x axis work well. The spindle is stable and the fixture too. I am waiting for the extension upgrade before continuing. I search for the best software to use with this CNC. I explore VCarve, Carveco and Carbide Create. I will take a look to Fusion 360 too, but want to make an opinion on others soft in case the Fusion 360 license do nt allowed free use in future.

With the files made by other and following importation in Candle, I can see that it will be require sometime to edit the G-Code, thing that is allowed in Candle. We should also taking care of the real travel limit of the cnc to compute the hard limit and soft limit in Candle.

Have a good evening.

I finally received all my upgrade parts. Mow, my xy axis is extended to 300 x 360, that gives me a course of :

x=264 mm
y= 318 mm
z= 38 mm

I putted the 20K spindle with the new version of the power supplied. I installed the extended spoil board (Alu+mdf). I also displaced my control board outside of my mdf enclosure which was made with recycled stuff I had. This option required to purchase longer cables. I had some problems with the y axis : it is a long screw that seem to me a bit misaligned, but put teflon based oil on it and now the stepper work well with it. It is a problem which need a follow up and may be a replacement. I also rise the XZ axis by placing the gantry on the previously used 2020 extruded alu bars and added plates for securing and procured some stiffness. I must also put a more thicker spoilboard over the aluminium base plate.

It took me a long period of time to explore all my docs and to choose a good software. I have Carveco Maker for 2 more months (it comes free for three months with Sainsmart). I purchased the perpetual licence of Vectric VCarve Desktop and I must explore this full version which replaced my trial version. I also installed Fusion 360 for hobby (complicated stuff here and came not with all the available functions), Candle for GCode treatment, Openbuilds CAM to play with it (free), FreeCAD to explore (Free), Inkscape (Free), NCViewer for GCode simulation (Free and web based) and finally CAMotics for CAM and simulation (Free).

VCarve will be my main design and CAM software. OpenBuilds should be used for GCode generation with Candle in future (it as GCode editing capability). Others software are there in case of needs.

There are 2 pictures showing the final setup below.

Hoping this can be helpful.

Instal 1.jpgInstal 2.jpg

Now begin the Top spoilboard preparation. I saw the chipboard (40/64 in or 16,3 mm) easily with my Micro Mark Tilt saw with 40 the Carbide blade. It is really a good purchased for me. Cut easily the MDF like butter and I do not need to use my table cheap table saw. I put to pieces of chipboard together and glue them before putting insert recuperated on my previous spoilboard 3018 in size. The new spoilboard mesure 320 mm x 265 mm and tick enough to compsentate the rising of the z axis via the repositionning of the gantry.

Spoilbaord prep 1.jpgSpoliboard Adj 1.jpg

Good evenning. I was long before putting someting new, but the learnong curve with Vectric VCarve is abrupt and I do not have enough time for reading. But I finallized my spoilboard with T-Slot. I doscover that the 20K spindle can used the 1/4 inches bits with appropriate collet. When used, 1/4 inches bits bring these small cnc to another level. If I used 1/8 inche bit for the spoilboard preparation, this one burn, even at 20 mm/min feeding and at 4500 RPM.

I used Lee Valley upward Keyhole Router Bit 1/2-1/2-1/4 and Onsrund High-Speed Steel Spiral Router Bits 2 flutes-1/4 in diam. end mill bit. Small marks were by my vacuum tube knocking the bit... Where I put my eyes ?20220214_201053.jpg

20220214_135520.jpg

Back