My Next Build

As my Ragusian Carrack is nearing completion, it is time for me to choose my next (and probably last) kit. I say last, as I will be 81 years old in May, and assume my next kit will take at least a year, and I'm already having problems with dexterity and dropping parts constantly.

My requirements/desires for this model are:
  • Maximum length of 32", assuming it needs to be displayed in my bookcase along with the Carrack, or in a plexi case (limited in display area).
  • Not too small. Not that I need to build it 32" long, but 24"-30" would be great. Not smaller than 20", I think.
  • Plank on Frame construction. My intent would be to completely plank one side, leave the construction visible the other. But we'll see.
  • Either an Admiralty style kit or one one with simplified rigging (simpler than the Carrack - I just can't do that stuff).
  • At least 1/48 scale, preferably larger, so smaller parts are larger and more detail can be added.
  • A Monograph should be available for the build. Much easier than doing separate research or relying only on the kit. Also, I like adding small details to the build.
  • Not necessarily a military vessel, but it must have some armament, cannon, bomb ketch, etc. No more than 10 or so cannon though, I like smaller numbers.
  • DETAIL - My most IMPORTANT requirement is detail. Deck detail or structures, visible detail (cabins, roping, storage, etc.) above and below deck where visible. Something that makes it an interesting model. I can't depend on craftsmanship to impress the Admiral, it has to be details!
  • A modern model using laser- or CMC-cut pieces for the most part.
  • Good plans and instructions are important to me. Preferably in English. Existing build logs to view are great, but so would a new model be great.
  • I really love Swiss Pear or Pearwood, but could use others. Wood quality is important to me.
  • Fancy kit carvings are nice, but not necessary to me. Everyone would point them out and say "Wow, you did those?". "Well, no, but I glued them on."
  • Complete kit, if possible, so I don't have to shop for all the details somewhere else.
  • Within my capabilities. I've built one POF cross section and one POB model. I don't mind being challenged, though.
  • Best quality kit that suits my requirements that I can buy. Price is not as important, I've come to realize.
Models I've been considering:
  • CAF HMS Granado - A very interesting model, extremely well presented on the forums, nice big gun and small number of others. 26" long.
  • Model Ship Dockyard HMS Blandford - Also a very interesting Bomb Ketch, nice size at 31". Similar to Granado, but no built-in room for two mortars. If I built it, I'd like to make mods to add them onboard. A bomb ketch without bombs doesn't really appeal.
  • CAF HMS Enterprise - Yes, this one definitely exceeds my length limit, but it's so nice I have to consider it. But all those cannon? Maybe new furniture to hold it?
  • CAF Salamander - Definitely too large if built with rigging, but body only is less than 26". I've seem some builds with nice section detail. Also a Mortar ship, so interesting. A lot of wasted material if built Admiralty style, though.
  • CAF Le Coureur - I'd glanced at this multiple times without any interest, until I saw some builds here and all that below- and above-deck detail! Smaller than I'd like (20" body) unless it were rigged, too large (38") if rigged, and I'm not fond of the rigging proportions, but what wonderful detail within the hull, so I have to consider it. Simplified rigging though. Perhaps similar or sister ships would have shorter bowsprit and length, that I could modify it to if rigged?
  • I love pics I've seen of a scratch-built L'Aurore Corvette, and it might work even at 1/36 scale, with wonderful detail, but no kit, and I can't scratch build. A kit of this scale would be great.
  • ModelMakers La Belle - This Italian-made kit looks really nice, customizable material and optional rigging, but they don't respond so it may no longer be available. 24" long at 1/30 scale, so that sounds really nice. But if I can't get it...
That's about it for my requirements, desires and thoughts. Considering everything, what would be your suggestion for my next build. As for my build capabilities, you can check my previous and current build below. Feel free to tell me if a kit would be beyond my abilities. I don't mind a challenge, but do have my limitations. Anyhow, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the above, as well as other kits I've not yet considered.

How about a cross section like the Granado one that Uwe did a while back? Because it's just a piece of a ship it can be a larger scale and still fit on your book case. Lots of detail but it's big detail.
Thanks for your comment. As I mentioned, the Granado is on my list to build. As it is 1/48 scale, detail wouldn't be too small. The same ship at a larger scale, or as you say a section at even larger, would be really neat, but no kit exists for those. I don't have the abilities (or inclination, honestly) to scratch build.

Personally, I like two models from your list: CAF Salamander and CAF Le Coureur. I think a lot of people are into frigates and these models are less popular. This is my opinion.

Personally, I like two models from your list: CAF Salamander and CAF Le Coureur. I think a lot of people are into frigates and these models are less popular. This is my opinion.
Thanks for your thoughts. Both are good choices and are on my list. As mentioned above, I couldn't rig either, but they'd be good as admiralty style.

Hallo my friend, maybe you accept also my two cents - especially because I was working on several models you have on the list

About the quality of all the models there is nothing negative to say - it is the known CAF-quality - only maybe some details and some solutions were getting over the years better - and you can build all of them in Admirality style, means without masting and rigging

Salamandre - one of the first POF model prepared by CAF - a very interesting vessel, and also well documented by the Boudriot monograph
Coureur - the challenge here is the fact, that the ship is smaller and the hull is clinker planked - also here well doumented by the Boudriot monograph (but here without the framing details)
Granado - the most "modern" kit - big enough to make the interior walls and other details - well documented with the Anatomy book by Goodwin
but all three are in Cherry and not pear wood

in short future you can order the La Renommee in pear wood - this could be maybe also an alternative
- ok much bigger, the most "modern" kit from CAF, also well documented by Boudriot

BTW: I agree with the Corvette Aurore - would be a great kit - maybe once the dreams are coming true

or the La Venus, or the Egyptienne, or the Amarante, or the ....... there are so much beautiful ships

I drop parts all the time. I'm not near 81yrs. Some of those parts disappear into another dimension.
Mine seem to walk away (or at least hide) after dropping them, though. Sometimes they stick to my shirt or pants. I'm amazed how far they can roll or bounce. Not long ago I found a block and pendant lying on my bed when I went to bed - I'd lost it the previous week! Where it was during that time, I have no idea!

Hallo my friend, maybe you accept also my two cents - especially because I was working on several models you have on the list
Builds that appeal to me also seem to appeal to you, so your opinion is highly regarded.
About the quality of all the models there is nothing negative to say - it is the known CAF-quality - only maybe some details and some solutions were getting over the years better - and you can build all of them in Admirality style, means without masting and rigging

Salamandre - one of the first POF model prepared by CAF - a very interesting vessel, and also well documented by the Boudriot monograph
The kit is being updated, per CAF web site. Photos show side sections with details. Do you know if these are included with the kit
Coureur - the challenge here is the fact, that the ship is smaller and the hull is clinker planked - also here well doumented by the Boudriot monograph (but here without the framing details)
Honestly, do you think I could build this ship with my abilities? Honesty is requested here - you won't hurt my feelings. I LOVE the Coureur, but wish it were about 50% larger.
Granado - the most "modern" kit - big enough to make the interior walls and other details - well documented with the Anatomy book by Goodwin
but all three are in Cherry and not pear wood
And of course your excellent build. Does the kit or monograph have information on what items would be in the interior (bunks, rope, etc.) like the Le Coureur?
in short future you can order the La Renommee in pear wood - this could be maybe also an alternative
- ok much bigger, the most "modern" kit from CAF, also well documented by Boudriot
Definitely not the La Renommee - 1.23m - over 4 feet - long. Plus I can't get past that pregnant lady figurehead.
BTW: I agree with the Corvette Aurore - would be a great kit - maybe once the dreams are coming true

or the La Venus, or the Egyptienne, or the Amarante, or the ....... there are so much beautiful ships
La Venus is probably too large with too many guns. Even more so with the Egyptienne. Amarante would be wonderful, hull length of 0.84m at 1/36, but I don't know of a kit of it. My abilities and tools certainly limit me to building a kit. And then there's all the carvings that, if they exist, must for me be included.

Thank you so much for your ideas - here and elsewhere.

Builds that appeal to me also seem to appeal to you, so your opinion is highly regarded.

The kit is being updated, per CAF web site. Photos show side sections with details. Do you know if these are included with the kit

Honestly, do you think I could build this ship with my abilities? Honesty is requested here - you won't hurt my feelings. I LOVE the Coureur, but wish it were about 50% larger.

And of course your excellent build. Does the kit or monograph have information on what items would be in the interior (bunks, rope, etc.) like the Le Coureur?

Definitely not the La Renommee - 1.23m - over 4 feet - long. Plus I can't get past that pregnant lady figurehead.

La Venus is probably too large with too many guns. Even more so with the Egyptienne. Amarante would be wonderful, hull length of 0.84m at 1/36, but I don't know of a kit of it. My abilities and tools certainly limit me to building a kit. And then there's all the carvings that, if they exist, must for me be included.

If you don't have anything against 3d printed resin parts Bernard Huc has decors for Amarante

If you don't have anything against 3d printed resin parts Bernard Huc has decors for Amarante

Beautiful work. I don't mind those being 3D-printed, but there still isn't a kit available, for all the structure, etc. I just can't do a scratch build.

you are a very good modeler, so I guess all of these CAF-models would be possible for you - no doubt
The problem, if it is really a problem, is that the Coureur is a small ship and with the single frames in combination with the clinker planking is a slightly difficult work - once finished it is looking great, but the way to get this result is not easy - definitely a lot of patience is necessary.
The actual content of the Salamandre - best is to contact Tom from @CAFmodel directly - he can give you all necessary information about the actual content.
Granado - there are no information about the cargo, ropes etc. - all documents are showing here naked -> but you know which room was for which purpose, so you know which one is the sail room, the powder storage, the bread room etc. so with some fantasy you can fill them

you are a very good modeler, so I guess all of these CAF-models would be possible for you - no doubt
The problem, if it is really a problem, is that the Coureur is a small ship and with the single frames in combination with the clinker planking is a slightly difficult work - once finished it is looking great, but the way to get this result is not easy - definitely a lot of patience is necessary.
The actual content of the Salamandre - best is to contact Tom from @CAFmodel directly - he can give you all necessary information about the actual content.
Granado - there are no information about the cargo, ropes etc. - all documents are showing here naked -> but you know which room was for which purpose, so you know which one is the sail room, the powder storage, the bread room etc. so with some fantasy you can fill them
Thanks again for that. I'm leaning toward the Granado, but haven't decided yet. It is a good size for me, I think, has a lot of interest, and what better than your build to follow? I agree about the Coureur.

I think it would be a big oversight not to look at the @Modelship Dockyard Enterprise (available shortly) and Le Fleuron (further away) in 1:48 scale. Both are POF, while wood will probably be a choice between boxwood and Pear wood.
Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with you, but the not-yet-available Enterprise is probably too large for me at 33" (using CAF's measurements) and 24 guns. And using Wang's own words concerning the Le Fleuron "Yes, without the bowsprit, the dimensions are 1120 long, 300 wide, 310 high, a huge model of a ship." Much too big for me, I'm afraid. 30" long would be my preferred length. Plus, I hope to start my next model in the next month or so.

I think I have narrowed my next build choice to the Granado. However, that still hasn't determined the kit I get. While the CAF version looks great, and certainly has the most posted builds to assist in its construction, the upcoming Trident version promises to have additional features, not the least of which is an option of Pear wood material (I just love pearwood - such a rich color, while new cherry is so light, even though it darkens with age). The problem, of course, is that no availability date has been announced for the Trident Granado. Some sources say July 2024 or later. I can probably wait for July, but certainly not for 2025.

The last time I waited for a future model was for the 3/4 size version of Pavel Nikitin's St. Bartolome, which was to be released about October of 2022. I finally gave up and ordered MarisStella's Ragusian Carrack in March of 2023, and the 3/4 size St. Batolome has yet to be produced (or even talked about further).

So I'm trying to decide whether to go with the ship in the hand, or wait for the better one in the bush. If I do wait, I have no projects at all to work on during that time, and at almost 81 years old, I really hate to waste that time.

And then I started looking at the La Salamandre again... Many builds, LOTS of internal detail. I'd have to waste the rigging material - no room for whole ship. Just an inch short of the Granado. But cherry, again.

I dunno about 81 years old and not having enough time left to build. I'm two days shy of 82 and have four builds going. Two Dutch ships, a Sternwheeler and the San Bartolome. To me it's not about the time left but the fun of building these little ships. I keep busy working on them, working on my G Gauge basement layout and reading. So I'll be delighted to follow your newest build to see what other Octogenarian are doing.:)

Jan

Last edited:
Back