My Simple Space Saving/Mobil Paint Booth....by Mario(Teleman)

HI EVERYBODY,
A MODERATOR CAN MOVE THIS TO THE APPROPRIATE AREA IF THIS IS NOT CORRECT. i THOUGHT PAINT AREA, BUT A PAINT BOOTH SEEMS TO ME TO JUST BE ANOTHER TOOL.
i WAS IN NEED OF A PAINT BOOTH BUT DID NOT WANT TO CHEW UP SPACE IN THE SHOP. bUT THOUGHT IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE IT MOBIL ALSO. VERY EASY TO MAKE AND A MINIMAL LIST OF MATERIALS USED.....

24-Pack of 24"x18" Ultra-Smooth Opaque Corrugated Plastic 4MM White Sign Blanks

VELCRO
TWO SIDED TAPE
DUCK TAPE

NOT MUCH ELSE!

I am a slow typist so bare with me as I add to this log.

1.JPG

FROM THIS......

2.JPG

AND THIS....

3.JPG

TO THIS!

NOW IT'S NOT PRETTY, BUT THEN AGAIN IT'S JUST A PAINT BOOTH. SO IT''S GONNA GET A LOT UGLIER AS I USE IT. YOU CAN USE WHITE DUCK TAPE FOR A BETTER LOOK BUT THOUGHT YOU ALL CAN SEE MY PROGRESS A BIT BETTER WITH THE STANDARD GREY TAPE.

4.jpg

4A.jpg
THESE 2 CUT WERE SO THE TOP WOULD FOLD ACCORDING TO PLAN. THE CUT AT THE 12 INCH MARK WAS MADE ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE TOP PIECE.

5.jpg

5A.jpg
THE UPPER LEFT PORTION OF THE PHOTO SHOWS THE CUTOFF. THIS WAS MARKED BY PLACING THE TOP PIECE UP AGAINST THE SIDE PIECE. THEN I LOWERED THE FLAP TILL IT CAME INTO ALIGNMENT WITH THE SIDE PIECE, AND THEN I MARKED AND CUT IT OUT.

6.jpg

NOW THE BACK WAS A NORMAL SHEET OF 24X18. I SHOW MEASUREMENTS BECAUSE IT DEPENDS ON THE SIZE AND TYPE OF FAN A BUILDER WILL USE. MY FAN WAS A SIMPLE 10" FAN.

PREPPING THE FAN....

6A.JPG

6B.JPG

6C.JPG

6D.JPG

NOW I HAD THE OPTION TO HAVE THE FAN ON INSIDE OF THE PAINT BOOTH, BUT I LOCATED ON THE OUTSIDE. THE METHOD TO MY MADNESS....I HAVE A BIGGER PAINT AREA!

6E.JPG

NOW DOING WILL CAUSE THE BOOTH JUST TO FALL OVER, SO I MADE SOME STABILIZER LEGS TO SUPPORT THE FAN N HOUSING FROM THE SCRAPS. IT WORKED JUST FINE.

11.JPG

THE SIDES, TOP, AND THE BOTTOM TAPED AND YOU CAN SEE HOW IT COLLAPSES OF GOES UP....

12.JPG

THE VELCRO WAS USED TO REMOVE OR ADD THE BACK PIECE. I USED 2 SIDED TAPE FOR THE VELCRO.

13.JPG

YOU CAN SEE THE BACK ATTACHED AND OPENING TO GET READY TO PAINT.

14.JPG

ALMOST READY TO PUT AWAY. UN-VELCRO THE BACK SIDE AND JUST ABOUT READY.

15.JPG

READY TO BE PUT AWAY. REMEBER I HAD THE OPTION TO PLACE THE FAN INSIDE THE BOOTH. IF I HAD DONE THAT THEN THE WHOLE UNIT WOULD BE A 1 PIECE FOLDING PAINT BOOTH. MY CONFIGURATION IT'S 2 PIECE. I HAVE SEEN THIS DONE WITH MODELING PAINT BOOTHS BEFORE THROUGH THE YEARS. i FINALLY GOT AROUND TO MAKING ONE FOR MYSELF. i HOPE YOU ENJOYED MY LITTLE THREAD. JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE TO YOU ALL. hAVE A GOOD DAY.

Thank you all!

Kurt the best possible answer I can give you is there are bomb proof fans out there to buy. But very expensive. But I have seen at home paint booths for slightly larger items to spray and they use furnace fans for ventilation. My little fan has a sealed motor for one. But there are important things I can do. making sure there is proper ventilation. Doesn't do any good to have a bitchin fan or simple one if there is nowhere for the fumes to go. I also will have filters in front of the fan that will filter the fumes as they pass and clean air will exit on the other side. If I was going to use it in home I would vent it with a exhaust tube. But i built it for outside in the garage and making sure it vents towards an open window.
Per my firefighting buddy oil paint have a rate before they are dangerous. But that rate can be reached if the are your in is not properly ventilated. Plus I did you know that enamel paint is also flammable when the paint is still wet. It's not just the fumes. So for me I have to work smart not stupid. I hope I answered this for you.

Thank you very much Kurt. It's very well for me. Been doing this for years n years. Just i finally made a booth I can put away. I was just taught to filter n ventilation were the most important things. But i am not a crazy painter. What I mean is I paint but not a lot. A weekend warrior type of painter. I do believe if your going paint like this on a regular up grade to better fans and possibly filters. I definately believe if your going to paint in your home and/or bedroom or den type rooms you should be very safe. I have never been comfortable painting like this indoors. But that's just me. Thanks again Kurt for bringing this safety point up.

Very nice. Looks a bit like my cheapo paint booth, only I used foam core. It's most important to use filters in front of the fan to help eliminate the paint particles from getting to the fan, and I see you have that covered very nicely. I use mine in a small shop area in my attic and vent the whole thing out a window. In all the years I have been doing model paint projects I haven't had any problems. Just remember to turn off the fan when you are done spraying or you can suck some nasty dust particles into your nice new paint job.

Thanks Jim,
I now we see all sorts of video's on airbrushing, majority in the home. I really don't care for that. I fell safer shooting paint in my garage, eventually my shop. I vent it straight out through the man door or when cold its dusted through the garage window. I have never had any problems with my process. I just wanted to show you my put away paint booth. i kinda got tired of dealing with that paint booth and where to put it when not in use. Haha!

Back