Nails

So, my new model instructs to use white glue and brass brads to hold strakes to the bulkheads. Then later says to sand off the heads of the brads while sanding (sigle planked Sapele) the hull. My question is this: do you typically pre-drill for the brads/nails? I want to alleviate splitting the wood.

This morning I separated out the lumber, measuring and labelling before I start the build. Also opened the 4 boxes of parts and two envelopes containing sails, threads and some hardware. I also went through and numbered all the laser-cut items as they come unnumbered.

20211030_131117.jpg20211030_130744.jpg20211030_130453.jpg20211030_130439.jpg20211030_125744.jpg20211030_125740.jpg20211030_124833.jpg20211030_124624.jpg20211030_124410.jpg

Interesting to see the content of this kit......
You made already the photos, would be great to make a new topic with a small box opening or kit review

BTW: I predrill most of the holes before pushing a nail into, slightly smaller than the nail - so f.e. 0,8mm hole for a 1mm nail

Once I start the build, I'll start a log and I'll include a complete kit description with contents. I have first to build a display case for the model I just finished. I am just now designing it in CAD and will build it in my wood shop soon. Since I am retired, I am not on any strict timetable.

I think pre-drilling is a good idea. I will use lines to keep all the nails in line as best I can.

On my single plank hull I used as few nails as I could. I did notice they stuck to a magnet so weren't truly brass, but brass colored. They also discolored the planks I used them in.

I opted to remove all of the nails rather than clipping the heads off as the manual called for-getting under the head was actually the more difficult part. I have read here on SoS that it is difficult to smoothly and evenly sand the hull with the nails still in which makes sense to me.

I did not predrill any of the nails, I did experience some splitting but only where I got too close to the end of the plank. By not drilling many of the holes closed up with the application of a drop of water after the nail was removed.

I avoid using nail on planking where possible. Before resorting to using nails try using just glue for the planks. I use CA gel with good success. If you can do the planking without nails the follow on finishing, or second planking layer, is much better. Only use nails on sharp curves where keeping the plank down while the glue dries is difficult…even then there are successful alternatives to nailing.

I also avoid using brads. I don't think they add anything to holding the planks in position and add several other issues.

Love how organised you are!!

I agree with the general discussion here about using the little nails. I used to use them for the first planking but found they are more trouble than they're worth. If I need to hold a plank in place while the glue dries I use a push pin (first planking layer only) to hold it.

I stopped using nails or brads about 40 years ago - more trouble than they were worth!
I use PVA or sometimes cyano, but pre-bend planks off the model by steaming and clamping in a suitably curved mould.
Fix the plank using glue and clamps, then finally secure with treenails.

Ted

Back