National Maritime Museum London 2019

Nice pics, thank you. I'm not sure how many models are on display now, a few years ago hundreds were put into storage and not available for public viewing, there were halls full of ships. I know that the museum received many complaints about this (the Science Museum did the same, they also have (had) a huge collection) It looks like some may have been brought back? There are still hundreds not displayed. All locked in a warehouse in Chatham docks. The London museums seemed to think that the models were not of great interest to visitors so replaced the displays with more modern technology exhibits to encourage the younger generations. A huge mistake. I first visited more than 50 years ago as a child and thought it was magical, I was hooked on ships and models from thereon. Hopefully, one day.....

I was there in the mid 90s - then so many ship models were on display - It appears as if some may have returned from storage.
Is there still a section on Admiral Nelson? - I remember that area so well, it also included his uniforms, and sadly the one he was wearing when killed - including the bullet on display.

The bullet which killed Lord Nelson is on show at Windsor Castle and is part of the Royal Collection being gifted to Queen Victoria, on the death of William Beatty- surgeon on HMS Victory.

The 'bullet' (ball) used to be exhibited along with the material fragment it carried, of the coat Nelson was wearing; the blood on the coat wasn't Nelsons, but that of lieutenant Pasco(?) who had been killed by a canon ball while standing beside Nelson some moments earlier. War is a nasty business.

Ah - thanks for clearing that up as well as the added details. I lived in London in the mid-90s for about two years - visited SO many amazing places that memories have become a bit cobwebbed - We loved our time in the UK - London WS8 -St. John's Woods.

Concorde would fly over every day - Still, today, the most beautiful aircraft ever built IMO

Oldflyer, so happy you enjoyed your time in Blighty! I lived there through the eighties (in the East End but worked in the West End). Yes, the sight of Concorde twice a day never got boring. The place seems to have changed; I never gave a thought to walking home on a summer night through Covent Garden, Fleet Street and under St Paul's Cathedral. I'm not so sure I'd feel safe doing that now. Still, I have a lot of memories of a time full of wonders.
All those models at the Science Museum and Greenwich were a feast, but sadly, even they have gone. A crime.

Back