Need for 4 Strand Cables vs 3 Strand Cables

Kurt Konrath

Kurt Konrath

I am looking at a rope walk and some venders offer different models with different capabilities.

So the question is do I need to be able to make 4 strand with core cables or will 3 strand cables/ropes surface for most models?

I have seen all the posts on different types of left and right hand ropes ands cables. I saw one posting saying only anchor ropes needed 44 strand cables/ropes.

Kurt K

Hi Kurt,
Most of the time 3 strand ropes are sufficient. My own machine allows me to make both types of rope but I find that the 4 strands are more difficult to handle, especially in the case of polyester. If you slide the rope between your fingers, sometimes a strand passes over the others and it creates a defect (you can correct it but it takes time).
For laying on the right or on the left, it depends on the base yarn used. Almost all the polyester yarns that we find are in Z so the ropes that we manufacture will be in S. I have never found untwisted polyester yarns in the trade and yet this is what I would need for my braiding machine.
Best regards,
Fred

Most of the cables (multiple ropes closed into a bigger cordage) used on ships were three-stranded, but the conventional rope used for running and standing rigging was a mix of three- and four-strand. Shrouds, for example, were often four-stranded with a heart. Gun breechings, which were sometimes made from old shrouds, might also be four-stranded. Up to you how detailed you want to get with this.

Back