New Full Rib Blue Nose

It will be interesting to see what is provided and how accurate the kit will be. If any are purchased let us know and the feedback on the plans and materials. PT-2
I forgot to ask about the running rigging as the picture looks as though a lot of it has been left out when compared to some other 1:48 scratch build plans and models. PT-2

Uwe to the rescue
No clue but there must be some authentic rigging plans around , this is after all a famous vessel ??
The two that I know of are 1/4" scale POF (practicum) based on plans of P.F. Eisnor by Gene Bodnar; and another kit that I have with good rigging and sails plans -3/16 " scale POB from Model Shipways Kit 2130 where between the instruction book and other plans there is a lot of room for my own speculation as to what shape and positioning is actually intended. That is probably typical for many kits and from my reading about other Chinese kits the plans are sparse in details but that may be my own reading/assumption from other posts. I don't mind being corrected about this or other concepts that I may have that are incorrect. PT-2

The two that I know of are 1/4" scale POF (practicum) based on plans of P.F. Eisnor by Gene Bodnar; and another kit that I have with good rigging and sails plans -3/16 " scale POB from Model Shipways Kit 2130 where between the instruction book and other plans there is a lot of room for my own speculation as to what shape and positioning is actually intended. That is probably typical for many kits and from my reading about other Chinese kits the plans are sparse in details but that may be my own reading/assumption from other posts. I don't mind being corrected about this or other concepts that I may have that are incorrect. PT-2
Here is the provenance basis for the plans in the MS 2130 identified on sheet 4 - Hull and spar details:
"reconstruction based on several sources. The hull for is based on a lines plan prepared in 1961 by John R. Stevens for the FIsheries Museum of the Atlantic in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. This drawing was developed from original designers lines, William J. Roue, but were modified to include a raised sheer forward, reflecting a change made during construction. The s ail plan and spar dimensions are based on William Roue's plan of 1922 an documentd measurements taken off during her racing days. The deck arrangement is based on a 1961 plan by John R. Stevens, but has been modified somewhat to reflect details found in photographs,, details of iron work and rigging were developed from photographs and typical fishing schooner practice. Mechanical details are from Lunenburg Foundry Catalog illustrations. The draftsman of the kit plans says, "My consultant on this project was historian and model builder Erik A.R. Ronnenberg, JR., of Rockport, Mass. who provide considerable data from his collection of Bluenose research papers and photographs. He also reviewed the completed plans."

I also have a couple of printouts of stern views showing both Masonic Square and Compass as well as the three links of the International Order of Odd fellows. The captain. Angus Walters became a Mason in Lunenburg Lodge of Unity No. 4, Lunenburg, N.S. He initially applied but was rejected 5 Oct. 1909 before the Bluenose construction in 1921, but was later initiated, passed and raised a Master Mason 65 Jan, 1931, while in the high days of Bluenose competition. The Grand Lodge of Nova Scotia has a YouTube on him and Bluenose. There are other racing short movies on YouTube as well shot from other boats. There is one other with on board short view of the crew working the rigging. Angus Walters died 11 Aug. 1968 and is buried in Lunenburg, N.S.

This information gives us several sources to contact for verifications and possibly copies of the original draughts. PT-2

Here is the provenance basis for the plans in the MS 2130 identified on sheet 4 - Hull and spar details:
"reconstruction based on several sources. The hull for is based on a lines plan prepared in 1961 by John R. Stevens for the FIsheries Museum of the Atlantic in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. This drawing was developed from original designers lines, William J. Roue, but were modified to include a raised sheer forward, reflecting a change made during construction. The s ail plan and spar dimensions are based on William Roue's plan of 1922 an documentd measurements taken off during her racing days. The deck arrangement is based on a 1961 plan by John R. Stevens, but has been modified somewhat to reflect details found in photographs,, details of iron work and rigging were developed from photographs and typical fishing schooner practice. Mechanical details are from Lunenburg Foundry Catalog illustrations. The draftsman of the kit plans says, "My consultant on this project was historian and model builder Erik A.R. Ronnenberg, JR., of Rockport, Mass. who provide considerable data from his collection of Bluenose research papers and photographs. He also reviewed the completed plans."

I also have a couple of printouts of stern views showing both Masonic Square and Compass as well as the three links of the International Order of Odd fellows. The captain. Angus Walters became a Mason in Lunenburg Lodge of Unity No. 4, Lunenburg, N.S. He initially applied but was rejected 5 Oct. 1909 before the Bluenose construction in 1921, but was later initiated, passed and raised a Master Mason 65 Jan, 1931, while in the high days of Bluenose competition. The Grand Lodge of Nova Scotia has a YouTube on him and Bluenose. There are other racing short movies on YouTube as well shot from other boats. There is one other with on board short view of the crew working the rigging. Angus Walters died 11 Aug. 1968 and is buried in Lunenburg, N.S.

This information gives us several sources to contact for verifications and possibly copies of the original draughts. PT-2
Firsts a couple of stern photos with the logos. Then click on the video title with his name below to bring up a video on Angus Walters, and then I'll try to do a couple of her sailing:
Bluenose Masonic Logo.png
Now the other lodge logoBluenose Odd Fellows Logo.png
Here is a link to the video. Click on it an go past the intro commercials for it to begin.

Capt. Angus Walters

Alternatively Google up YouTube videos of Bluenose, and Glouster Fishing Schooners.

Thank you for the nice background info I think this kit will be very popular , especially in Canada

Thank you for the nice background info I think this kit will be very popular , especially in Canada
I used to race sailboats so the greyhounds of the seas, such as the fishing schooners, attract my eye and emotions. Nothing like two boats on side by side beam reaches, all sails up. crews hiding hard out to beat the competition to the mark or finishing line at market. PT-2

@PT-2 I have clearer photographs for you re the symbols on the stern.

@PT-2 I have clearer photographs for you re the symbols on the stern.
Yes, please send those to me. Angus Walters was not a Freemason when the Bluenose was built in 1921. He became a Mason in 1931 which makes dating the Masonic emblem a bit uncertain. PT-2

Yes, please send those to me. Angus Walters was not a Freemason when the Bluenose was built in 1921. He became a Mason in 1931 which makes dating the Masonic emblem a bit uncertain. You can send those as email attachments to my address: rgmaris@msn.com PT-2

@Brian077 Brian it is indeed. That is why I say they have been very good to deal with and are very keen on doing things right. That is why I said I will help where I can.

Back