"New Guy" from Victoria, BC, Canada...

Hello,
I was brought to the site researching TANAC Class Tugs, which was a quick distraction from my current (first ship build) project, a 1/35 T.I.D. Class Tug. Prior to this, I was a sci-fi & WW2 tank modeller, some minor scratch building, mostly "add-on" parts to convert modern 1/48 tanks to odd, one-off sci-fi creations.

I started this project to include in a larger display, some details of which are on the web in a semi-private facebook group, hopefully to be shown at SMW Telford 2021... maybe 2022 depending on the situation.

All styrene construction, except for the brass portholes... & glue, lots & lots of glue. I had 1/24 plans converted to 1/35 with the help of a printing company (large scanner & large format printing), I also had the hull 3D scanned once it was complete, should I decide to build another in the future. Obviously, the rear structure in missing, work in progress. All the best to you.

IMG-0669.JPGIMG-0668.JPGIMG-0670.JPGIMG-0665.JPG

Hallo Jason,
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
You are showing us a very interesting project - would be great to see more of this and the other display projects

Thanks for the welcome.

The facebook group is called "Mulberry Harbours D-Day (9th June to early December 1944", not sure if I should post an actual link here. It is a very interesting project, almost outrageous, given that most Mulberry Harbour models are in the 1/350 range, not 1/35. I should also make it clear that I am not an admin. / creator of the group, but a very late addition, now rushing to complete a tug for the display coming up in a few months... if the 2021 show goes ahead, otherwise 2022.

The photos I posted above are the latest of my project. I do have many others to document the build, but to be honest, what may look OK on the outside, is a complete hack job on the inside - layers upon layers of plastic, 2-part filler, grey putty, injection molded CA glue to fill voids & so on. As I said before, this is my first full scratch build project & also my first boat build, so apart from some tips in old books & a few online posts from builders, I'm inventing the process as I go. It's slow, but I prefer to use my own steps & make my own mistakes, rather than studying someone else's instructions. It is based off full 1/24 plans by Adrian Brewer (MAR 2447), but mine is a "waterline / flat-bottom" model so it matches the height of the other display components.

Once I get further on, I'll make a dedicated post to document the build.

Last edited:
Hello,
I was brought to the site researching TANAC Class Tugs, which was a quick distraction from my current (first ship build) project, a 1/35 T.I.D. Class Tug. Prior to this, I was a sci-fi & WW2 tank modeller, some minor scratch building, mostly "add-on" parts to convert modern 1/48 tanks to odd, one-off sci-fi creations.

I started this project to include in a larger display, some details of which are on the web in a semi-private facebook group, hopefully to be shown at SMW Telford 2021... maybe 2022 depending on the situation.

All styrene construction, except for the brass portholes... & glue, lots & lots of glue. I had 1/24 plans converted to 1/35 with the help of a printing company (large scanner & large format printing), I also had the hull 3D scanned once it was complete, should I decide to build another in the future. Obviously, the rear structure in missing, work in progress. All the best to you.
Hallo @Jason F.
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back