New guy wanting to say hi.

"Hi"
That said, at age 72 I am about to build my first boat. Trouble is, I know nothing about boats. The movie, "The African Queen", was a big hit with me and I've watched it about a dozen times now and want to build that boat. Soooooo, I bought a Billing Boats African Queen model kit and am going crazy waiting for it to arrive. It was due last Friday but the tracking number says it's still in Germany. Oh well.
I do have a lot of building experience over the past number of years with wood mostly because my first love is model railroading in HO scale. Scratch building and kit bashing was my forte. So I know the basics but nothing about boats or ships exclusively. (I want to tackle the La Nina next.)
Any help, suggestions and advice is surely welcomed here.
Thanks, all,
Rick

Hallo Rick,
a warm welcome here on board of our friendly and helpful forum.
We will try to help and assist when ever necessary and requested.
Once you have your kit, I suggest you start a building log of your project - and all together I am pretty sure, that you will build a nice first ship model......

Welcome aboard. Your model RR skills will go a long way in model ship building. I think you will find that you already have everything you need - tools, desire and patience. Scratch building RR structures etc require tons of all three - I know, I've done the same. So until your kit arrives peruse this fine forum and enjoy your new found hobby.

Hello Rick,
Welcome to the puffer corner.
I started a scratchbuild build -pinnace Janet -still work in progress
There are a lot more experienced modellers here like Moxis and Neptune building steam models too.
If you want to see a masterpiece look for ‘Natterer’ – A shipbuilding Odyssey
Lot of info and help here
Daniel

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.
I forgot to add that 'live steam' is another new found hobby.
I bid on an old antique steam engine on ebay and won! I'm now waiting for parts to repair it. Had it runnin' a couple days ago but didn't want to hurt it any so shut it down for now.

Welcome aboard SOS, Rick!! We are happy for you and very excited to see your build log of African Queen construction. Let be assured we have plenty of folks who willing to help in case questions will arise. Please spend a moment a browse our help pages, they will help you properly navigate to desired threads. We have a wealth of information for everyone's interest.

Welcome to the SoS Forums, have fun, take time to look around at all the help and general info forums, they will answer a lot of questions.

When your ship sail in, I mean when the kit comes in, please start a Build Log for your ship, so we can watch and keep up.

If you find a rough spot in instructions or work, just post a question and share photos in build log and others here will give you answers or opinions on how to proceed the best way.

Also welcome from a fellow Model Railroader, HO scale.

What party of the grand US are you from, you never know who is near you.

Kurt Konrath

Oh, thanks a bunch, guys! Lots of 'welcomes' here. :)

I'm also a live steam nut as well. I put in a bid at ebay for a steam engine and won! I now have the boiler and need to upgrade the engine to run in this build.
My plans are to build an RC model of the African Queen. We have a rather large pond/lake with dozens of ducks just a mile from me in the local Dupree Park and chasing ducks around sounds like fun. :D

home.jpg

Last edited:
Just checked the status of my African Queen model and it's sitting in New York!!! It's almost here! YeeHaa!!!
:dancetl6:

Welcome, Rick!
A Ships of Scale member recently shared a video of a live steam rail model and I was absolutely captivated. I don't think that's in the cards for me as I'm more than busy with my "age of sail" models, but I hope you'll share images of your ebay-won steam engine and the African Queen, or maybe even a build log. This is a great group and we are glad to have you aboard.

Thanks, guys.
I forgot to add that 'live steam' is another new found hobby.
I bid on an old antique steam engine on ebay and won! I'm now waiting for parts to repair it. Had it runnin' a couple days ago but didn't want to hurt it any so shut it down for now.
Welcome!
Talk to Dave Stevens, who posts here. He has an interest in steam!

Back