New guy..

Hello, my name is Mark.. I'm 60, married. I work as a programmer at a nearby medical center.

I've built many models over the years, starting with plastic model airplanes, cars, ships (Revell Cutty Sark and Constitution), tanks, then balsa free-flight control line, R/C aerobatic and scale models, numerous HO scale structures, some from kits and some scratch built.

I also like to oil paint. And doing maritime/nautical art has been a long held desire. I'm very interested in US Naval History (former US Navy LT), as well as Imperial Russian Naval History (my mom's side of the family fled Penza, Russia during the Revolution), the Clipper era, and early America's Cup sailing races, among others.

So I'm getting into model ship building in order to better understand the eras and subjects that I want to paint, as well as just a general interest in ships from my childhood days.

I ordered the three entry level Modeler's shipyard kits from Model Expo. (Grand Banks Dory, Norwegian Sailing Pram & Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack)

I'm looking forward to learning a lot here and hope at some point to be able to contribute something of value to the knowledge this site encompasses.

Thanks,

Mark

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

I also like to oil paint. And doing maritime/nautical art has been a long held desire. I'm very interested in US Naval History (former US Navy LT),

do you have a special period in naval history that interest you? steam navy, civil war navy, sailing navy, modern steel navy?

I also like to oil paint. And doing maritime/nautical art has been a long held desire. I'm very interested in US Naval History (former US Navy LT),

do you have a special period in naval history that interest you? steam navy, civil war navy, sailing navy, modern steel navy?
Pretty much all of it, Dave, up until the early 1990's.. I was in between 1983 and 1992. Although currently I'm focusing on the War of 1812 because of the painting I want to do of Oliver Hazard Perry and the reading I've done regarding that battle and the resulting bad blood between him and LT Jesse Elliot, that ultimately led to Stephen Decatur's tragic death in a duel.

living in cleveland Ohio i have an interest in the maritime history of the Great Lakes

a few publications on the subjest

Oliver Hazard Perry and the Battle of Lake Erie
by Gerald T Altoff

Building of Perry's Fleet on Lake Erie
by Max rosenburg

Daniel Dobbins frontier mariner
by Robert D Iliservich

The Journal of Erie Studies
special issue
175th anniversary of the battle of lake erie
Erie county historical Society and Mercyhurst College

The Naval War of 1822
a documentary history
William S. Dudley

The War of 1812
on the
Niagara Frontier
By Louis Babcock
Buffalo historical Society 1927

Last edited:
Welcome Aboard! I have built all three of the kits you mention. All very enjoyable to work (and learn) on.

You will be able to find the following article on line: "Battle of Lake Erie: Building the Fleet in the Wilderness", by RADM Denys W. Knoll; Washington, D.C.: Naval Historical Foundation, Spring 1979. Link: https://www.navyhistory.org/battle-of-lake-erie-building-the-fleet-in-the-wilderness/
Thanks, John! I'm looking forward to getting started on them.. But I must confess I already started working on my Model Shipways Niagra..
I read that website you referenced with great interest.. It is astounding they built not one, but two ships of that size in the wilderness.. That would make a great diorama.

I would like to formaly welcome you to our great forum.
The entry level Modeler's shipyard kits from Model Expo are a great way to start. If you ever need any parts from those models, just fill out a Parts Request Form located at the bottom left of our website and the same day that I receive your request I will process your order.

Pretty much all of it, Dave, up until the early 1990's.. I was in between 1983 and 1992. Although currently I'm focusing on the War of 1812 because of the painting I want to do of Oliver Hazard Perry and the reading I've done regarding that battle and the resulting bad blood between him and LT Jesse Elliot, that ultimately led to Stephen Decatur's tragic death in a duel.
Welcome to the best site around, and thanks for your service.

David this goes for you as well.

I did 24 in the USAF, from 76-2000, and got to work with the Navy folks on a few occasions. I got to spend 3 months at Barbours Point HI while we were flying A-7Ds.

Mark, what part of the US are you from? you can add location in your profile if wanted.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,
I was stationed at Barber's Point NAS from May 1986 to May 1989 with VQ-3.
I live in the Chicagoland western suburbs..

Thanks for your service as well!

I went through Overwater Navigator training at Mather, AFB in 1985 at the Naval Air Training Unit there. We flew in the T-43 (USAF version of the 707-200). Given my squadron mission I spent a lot of time on USAF bases all along the west coast, including March, McChord, Travis, McClellan, and even once to Mountain Home.

Back