• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

New Member From Maryland

Welcome from the precincts of Rockville in the Old Line State. About 35 years ago, I did a father/son project building a Midwest Products Co. Chesapeake Bay skipjack model we picked up from the Maritime Museum in Solomons Island. That was the impetus to begin the Constructo 1799 Baltimore built "Enterprise", in 1992, which I am still "working" on. Having just rigged the canons and beginning to rig the shrouds, I hope to finish before the end of the year and present it to my soon to be five grandsons.
 
Hello everyone! I just joined the other day. I'm a beginner modeler. I just received the Model Shipways beginner series set (Lowell Dory, Sailing Pram and Lobster Smack), USS Constitution and Corel Greyhound. I currently have the Dory on the bench. My plan is to finish the beginner series then move on to the Greyhound, unless I feel I need to get another easier build before that to gain experience. We'll see. Definitely holding off on the Constitution until I'm 100% sure I can handle it. I want to do it right. The Greyhound kinda 'spoke' to me since I've been adopting and fostering Greyhounds for 26 years and a few years ago bought my first racer who now has retired with me. I also kinda want to build a US Navy C-2 Greyhound, but, time is an issue at the moment with everything else. Anyway, I'm looking forward to all the great information and people on this forum.
Welcome aboard from Maryland! You're my first "welcome" as I am a new member S of S from Annapolis as of a month or so ago. I see you mentioned the US Navy C2 Greyhound. Were you a COD pilot or a proud dad of many four-legged Greyhound(s)? I've been building wood model ships for several years and learned early on that one difference from a beginner to a master is many top builds require some advanced-builder tools which may seem expensive/over priced too beginners. I've learned that good tools can cut build time, reduce frustration, and are an asset for those who intend to build more than one ship.
Anyway, welcome! You'll love the magazine!
 
Welcome aboard from Maryland! You're my first "welcome" as I am a new member S of S from Annapolis as of a month or so ago. I see you mentioned the US Navy C2 Greyhound. Were you a COD pilot or a proud dad of many four-legged Greyhound(s)? I've been building wood model ships for several years and learned early on that one difference from a beginner to a master is many top builds require some advanced-builder tools which may seem expensive/over priced too beginners. I've learned that good tools can cut build time, reduce frustration, and are an asset for those who intend to build more than one ship.
Anyway, welcome! You'll love the magazine!
Hey Tim! Thanks for the Welcome. I was not a pilot. I did however enlist in the Navy in '92, however, I broke my wrist just before I was to leave for basic and was medically discharged with no time served. I am a proud owner of currently three retired Greyhounds and five that have crossed the bridge. One of my current Greyhounds was actually a racer that I owned since she was a puppy. It was an amazing journey watching her grow, play, train, race then retire with me. As for the ships, I have no problem acquiring a tool I'll need to help me out and thank you for the advice.
 
Back
Top