New Member from Massachusetts

Hello,

I am going to try to build a model of the Belle Poule 1802. I've never built a ship before so I am going to read all your threads and see how to get going with it. I am picking this ship because an ancestor was a member of the ships complement when it was taken by the British in 1806.

I am going to wing it.

Thanks for the admit to your forums.
-El

Welcome aboard El and good luck on your build!!! If you are going to read ALL of our threads you might be up all night.. or a few nights..

Welcome aboard SOS, El! I am sure you will find lots of useful information by browsing our forum, Enjoy!

Hallo El,

first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

Interesting project with the french Virginie-class frigate Belle Poule, captured by the british in 1806.

bhc0597.jpg
The ‘Gypsy’, an American schooner fitted out as a privateer, was on her way from New York to Bordeaux with a valuable cargo when she was captured in the mid-Atlantic after a three-day chase. In the left foreground is the ‘Belle Poule’, starboard broadside view. To the right and beyond, off her port bow is the ‘Gypsy’, still firing at the ‘Belle Poule’, but with her ensign being struck at the same time.

I am not aware about a kit of this ship, so do you make this model scratch built?
Which docs are the basis of your model-"design" ? Do you know the contemporary drawings available at the NMM?

Hope to get some more information about your project - sounds really interesting .... especially because you have also a personal relation to this ship

Today in Naval History - Naval / Maritime Events in History
15 February 1809 - HMS Belle Poule (38), Cptn. James Brisbane, captured French frigate Var (26) in the Gulf of Valona, Adriatic

Back