Hello to all.
I am a new member and new to model ships. I used to make plastic models as a kid and decided to try wooden models at this stage in my life (62 years old). I have always wanted a real looking tall ship and figured that maybe the time is right to learn this craft and make one (or two or three). I am really excited to start learning this hobby.
For my first model, I have decided to build the Phantom from Model Shipways. Hopefully it won't be to difficult for me to learn on. I have started reading the instruction book and the practicum, but have not started building yet. The wife and I are going on vacation next week, and I decided to wait till we got back.
I have seen the build logs and hopefully I can contribute as well.

Welcome to the site.
Model Shipways makes a good model and has good instructions.
Hope you enjoy this rewarding hobby.
There is a lot of great information on this site and people are willing to help answer your questions. There are some really great books that are listed here and building a library where everything is quickly able to be found is important. Different authors solve problems their own way. Finding what works for you is learned by doing or reading and then trying their suggestions.
But the real key here is to just enjoy the process and be able to sit back and be amazed at what you have been able to build.

Welcome louvoo, as Gary says there is a lot of info 'out there', don't hesitate to ask a question even if you think it trivial, you will get varied answers to a question and you can choose to go with the one that suits your application or combine some.
BTW, the wife is your Admiral, you have to get permission to come aboard i.e. use the dining table to build your model on, be prepared to abandon ship i.e. take her shopping or holidays, hoist the sails i.e. hang out the washing, swab the decks i.e. vacuum the house for her, and then, if you have time left in the day you can work on your model! (all in fun)
Regards
Eric

Thanks Gary and Eric for making me feel welcome.
I do believe that I will be asking a few questions from time to time.

Hello to all.
I am a new member and new to model ships. I used to make plastic models as a kid and decided to try wooden models at this stage in my life (62 years old). I have always wanted a real looking tall ship and figured that maybe the time is right to learn this craft and make one (or two or three). I am really excited to start learning this hobby.
For my first model, I have decided to build the Phantom from Model Shipways. Hopefully it won't be to difficult for me to learn on. I have started reading the instruction book and the practicum, but have not started building yet. The wife and I are going on vacation next week, and I decided to wait till we got back.
I have seen the build logs and hopefully I can contribute as well.
Hallo @louvoo
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back