New members from Victoria Australia

Welcome! I am from Melbourne as well. Camberwell, in fact. The Ship Modelling Society of Victoria (SMSV) is the oldest club, but it is effectively defunct with very few members attending the meetings and virtually no ship models now :( I think it's time to start another one! Where are you located?
Hi, thank you for your warm welcome. I am based in Wallan (an hour north of Melb) and have cleared out our third bedroom for my modelling. At present I have a 1/16 tank and the the rail gun to build and then will commence my first ship.
I have looked at Modellers Central who have a number of starter packs and like the look at the colonial brig starters pack that includes some tools, a book and a few dvd's to assist in making the leap into the challenging.
In saying this, I have read the build instruction for this ship and, please excuse my ignorance, look just as horrific as the victory and welcome everyones thoughts and input on my choice.

I have looked at Modellers Central who have a number of starter packs and like the look at the colonial brig starters pack that includes some tools, a book and a few dvd's to assist in making the leap into the challenging.
In saying this, I have read the build instruction for this ship and, please excuse my ignorance, look just as horrific as the victory and welcome everyones thoughts and input on my choice.

Is this the model you are referring to? I wouldn't say it is as horrific as a Victory, the Victory has way more guns (does this model have any cannon at all?), more masts, and much more complex rigging. I personally would buy the version without the beginners tools because I am sure that you already own some of those tools. The DVD might be useful, but I built my first model without a DVD.

I can recommend this book - I own a copy and it was helpful in starting me off on my journey many years ago. There is also this which I haven't read. Hmm, there is a guy named "Allan Tyler" in the SMSV (in fact he is the president). I wonder if he wrote that book, or it's another Allan Tyler. Anybody know? @alpayed?

Yes Keith I am guilty as charged. Alpayed is Allan Tyler. President of SMSV. Author of that little booklet on planking. I also developed the Schooner for port Jackson kit fo Modellers central. AKA Modellers shipyard.

Back