New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

We have since some time a topic called
Purchased shortly ago / sthg new in your workshop -> present it here

For better research and information related to books, publications and drawings, plansets etc. I think it would be also good,
to have a special Topic in which the members could show your new (and old) addition to your library and bookshelf

The idea behind this topic (and I know it is not really a new idea), is to show the members anything new,
what you have purchased or got somehow and which could be of some interest to some other member(s).

Last edited:
Making the start......
I got these books delivered yesterday, which could be also interesting for somebody else. In moment some of them relatively cheap via amazon.de

books2.jpg

French Warships in the Age of Sail 1626 - 1786: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates
Pen & Sword Books Ltd (25. Oktober 2017)
by Rif Winfield (Author), Stephen S. Roberts (Author)

French Warships in the Age of Sail 1786 - 1862: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates
Pen & Sword Books Ltd (16. September 2015)
by Rif Winfield (Author), Stephen S. Roberts (Author)

and

books1.jpg

Sloop of War: 1650-1763
(Englisch)
Pen & Sword Books Ltd - 24. Februar 2014

by Ian McLaughlan (Author)

Van de Velde & Son, Marine Painters: The Firm of Willem van de Velde the Elder and Willem van der Velde the Younger, 1640-1707
Primavera Pers - Juni 2016
by Remmelt Daalder (Author)

an these books in german language I received also - It is Christmas in short time, so I made me a present before

bücher.jpg

"Über den Wellen bin ich einzigartig - Das Skulpturenprogramm am Heck der Royal Louis (1668)" by Eugen Rickenbacher (1)
and
"Versailles der Meere - Die barocken Segelschiffe Ludwigs XIV im Kontext Ihrer Zeit" by Bernd Monath (2)

I guess it is a time of the season to treat yourself with something... received today! What a thanksgiving present!

IMG_0999.JPEG

Russian Warships in the Age of Sail, 1696-1860: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates
  • Hardcover: 400 pages
  • Publisher: Naval Institute Press; First Edition edition (June 22, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1848320582
  • ISBN-13: 978-1848320581
  • Product Dimensions: 9.8 x 1.5 x 11.2 inches

Dutch Warships in the Age of Sail, 1600-1714: Design, Construction, Careers, and Fates
  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Naval Institute Press; 1st Edition edition (October 15, 2014)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1848321570
  • ISBN-13: 978-1848321571
  • Product Dimensions: 10.2 x 0.8 x 12 inches

For those of you long waiting for such a book, it will be released January 2021. A long time to wait, but...you can preorder on Amazon

ISBN-13: 978-1844157006
ISBN-10: 1844157008
But this is than a further Edition -
British Warships in the Age of Sail 1714-1792 by Rif Winfield was originally published by Pen & Sword Books in 2007 already. These copies are available already, but for a relative high price in moment - so it makes sense to wait some month for the re-edition

The Dutch Warships in the Age of Sail 1600 - 1714 is already ordered and I expect it to be delivered in the next days, The Russian Warships ........ maybe soon ;)
Interesting to see, that you also got the Laughton book Old Ship Figure-Heads & Sterns - just yesterday I borrowed my copy to Willi

But this is than a further Edition -
British Warships in the Age of Sail 1714-1792 by Rif Winfield was originally published by Pen & Sword Books in 2007 already. These copies are available already, but for a relative high price in moment - so it makes sense to wait some month for the re-edition

The Dutch Warships in the Age of Sail 1600 - 1714 is already ordered and I expect it to be delivered in the next days, The Russian Warships ........ maybe soon ;)
Interesting to see, that you also got the Laughton book Old Ship Figure-Heads & Sterns - just yesterday I borrowed my copy to Willi

Just received my copy of

Dutch Warships in the Age of Sail 1600 - 1714: Designs, Construction, Careers & Fates
by James Bender
Pen & Sword Books Ltd (30. September 2014)

book4.jpg

Synopsis:
For most of the seventeenth century the Netherlands constituted the most important maritime power in the world, with by far the largest merchant fleet and dominance in seaborne trade, feared and envied by other countries. Born out of an 80-year struggle against Spain for independence, the Dutch republic relied on naval power to guarantee its freedom, promote its trade, and defend its overseas colonies. The Dutch navy was crucial to its survival and success, yet the ships that made up its fleets are among the least studied and most poorly documented of any in the age of sail. This history is the first definitive listing of all Dutch fighting ships.

Just received a new beautiful book, for which I was searching longer - in the meantime rare and unfortunately expensive copy

Shipbuildning in the dutch Golden Age.jpg

Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age
(Ed Rachal Foundation Nautical Archaeology Series)
by A. J. Hoving (Author)

Synopsis:
In 1671, Dutch diplomat and scientist Nicolaes Witsen published a book that served, among other things, as an encyclopedia for the “shell-first” method of ship construction. In the centuries since, Witsen’s rather convoluted text has also become a valuable source for insights into historical shipbuilding methods and philosophies during the “Golden Age” of Dutch maritime trade. However, as André Wegener Sleeswyk’s foreword notes, Witsen’s work is difficult to access not only for its seventeenth-century Dutch language but also for the vagaries of its author’s presentation.

Fortunately for scholars and students of nautical archaeology and shipbuilding, this important but chaotic work has now been reorganized and elucidated by A. J. Hoving and translated into English by Alan Lemmers. In Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age, Hoving, master model builder for the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, sorts out the steps in Witsen’s method for building a seventeenth-century pinas by following them and building a model of the vessel. Experimenting with techniques and materials, conducting research in other publications of the time, and rewriting as needed to clarify and correct some vital omissions in the sequence, Hoving makes Witsen’s work easier to use and understand.

Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age is an indispensable guide to Witsen’s work and the world of his topic: the almost forgotten basics of a craftsmanship that has been credited with the flourishing of the Dutch Republic in the seventeenth century.

To view a sample of Ab Hoving’s ship model drawings, please visit: http://nautarch.tamu.edu/shiplab/AbHoving.htm
  • Gebundene Ausgabe: 310 Seiten
  • Verlag: Texas A&M University Press; Auflage: New (15. April 2012)
  • Sprache: Englisch
  • ISBN-10: 1603442863
  • ISBN-13: 978-1603442862
  • Größe und/oder Gewicht: 21,8 x 2,5 x 28,2 cm
A detailed book review will come sooner or later ......

Hi Uwe I think I posted this in another forum, I TOO HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THIS ONE WHERE DID YOU GET IT AND THE PRICE RANFGE. THANKS Don

Hi Uwe I think I posted this in another forum, I TOO HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THIS ONE WHERE DID YOU GET IT AND THE PRICE RANFGE. THANKS Don
Yes I bought it from amazon.de
Amazon.de: Einkaufsangebote: Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age (Ed Rachal Foundation Nautical Archaeology Series)
The copies from USA are cheaper, but with high costs for postage

Today I found a book on ebay, for which I was also searching a longer time.....Hope to get it soon from this seller

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg
(Photos by the dealer)

The Willem van de Velde drawings in the Boymans-van Beuningen Museum, Rotterdam – 1979
Box with 3 Volumes
1 Textvolume with 187 Pages and 2 Volumes with plates with 357 pages (historic events) and 335 pages (Maritime and Ships)

Just received one new book, bought from our member Sam alias @william for a very reasonable price.
Very well packed and fast delivered - Many Thanks Sam

Kriegstein.jpg

17th and 18th Century Ship Models: From the Kriegstein Collection
by Arnold and Henry Kriegstein (Author)

The blue jacketed Kriegstein was the initial volume published by Pier Books and Dupont

This book should be a great addition to anyone's library!
Yes - I think so - I will make a book review in some time, so everybody can decide by him/herself if this book is worth the money.
Maybe afterwards somebody could tell me/us where are the differences between the blue and the green edition

A good adviser for my 17th. century project has arrived from France. The legendary Album de Colbert.

View attachment 124277View attachment 124278View attachment 124279View attachment 124280View attachment 124281View attachment 124282
you will like it very much - I am sure
Is it the reprint by ancre? - we can see, that it is well packed (visible in the first photo) and typical for ancre

Yes Uwe. To open a box from Ancre is everytime a event !
There are a lot of details shown in this work. It´s good to doublecheck the informations in this work with the own project. But any details from Colbert doesnt fit with the wreck from my La Belle. Maybe a different shipyard, a smaller vessel... anyway.
It´s a good roadmap to verify the steps of the shipbuilding. As well a lot of answers and invisible details from my planset are shown here.
I think only Ancre publish this important book.

Back