New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

Today the postman was ringing - I got a new book

IMG_4850.jpg

The Warship Anne: An illustrated history
by Richard Endsor (Author)

Synopsis:
If you go down to the shore at Hastings on the UK's south coast at low tide you will come upon an amazing sight. There, revealed by the receding waves are the remarkably complete mortal remains of a seventeenth century warship. The Anne was launched in 1678 and was lost in 1690 at the battle of Beachy Head. As she lay beached, she was torched to prevent her from falling into enemy hands. Today the wreck is owned by the Shipwreck Museum at Hastings and in the past few years there have been some intriguing attempts to bring the ship back to life using advanced simulation and modeling techniques. Ship's historian and draughtsman Richard Endsor has written a history of this wonderful and accessible ship, bringing the ship fully back to life using his beautiful and accurate drawings and paintings.

Richard Endsor's previous book, The Restoration Warship inspired the locals at Deptford to plan a full size replica of Lenox, the warship covered in that book.

Nice addition to your collection UweThumbsupI have "The Restoration Warship" by Richard Ensor and it is a great book.How does this compare?Incidentally I have not heard of any advancement of the full size replica of Lennox.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nice addition to your collection UweThumbsupI have "The Restoration Warship" by Richard Ensor and it is a great book.How does this compare?Incidentally I have not heard of any advancement of the full size replica of Lennox.

Kind Regards

Nigel
You mean this one, or?

Unfortunately it is too early already to compare the two books. I was ordering the new one based on the interesting synopsis - and to be honest, I have also to take a second look at the Restoration Warship -> too much books in the library :oops:

Kind Regards

Nigel
About the Lennox project there is this web-page, telling, that they planned to have the business plan finished in 2018 -> but this is already 2 years ago (in the meantime) - so it seems to be problematic

You mean this one, or?

Unfortunately it is too early already to compare the two books. I was ordering the new one based on the interesting synopsis - and to be honest, I have also to take a second look at the Restoration Warship -> too much books in the library :oops:

Yes that is the one I have Uwe,fantastic book!

Kind Regards

Nigel

Historic documents found !!!!
In my old 37 years old Legobox i found last weekend my first drawn mastplan. What a surprise. I have drawn it with 10 years and it was part from my first own build lego three master. As well perserved was the nameplate who shows the creative name of the ship. :p ROTF. The wreck unfortunatly is lost.

View attachment 127619
A great finding - Such things should be framed and hanging in your workshop Thumbs-Up
BTW: very good work-preparation you did already in this young age -> I see no problems with your actual scratch built

Hi all just got my 3 new books and they are all just packed with information
Cheers snowy View attachment 129550
A very nice collection of very good books.
The Anatomy of Nelson´s Ships from Longridge is already longer time on my list for future Book Reviews.
The Anatomy of the ships book about the Bellona by Lavery is a very good detailed explanation of this type of 74-gunners
And the Warship Anne by Endsor - here I make in short time a BOOK Review
-> very good selection -> Congrats for this new copies for your Library

UWE there is a great selection of books that are FREE DOWN LOADS have many of them on my GOGGLE PLAY like FINCHMENS BOOKS if you go to NBM and look under books not the knew ones many early books on MARINE ARCHITECTURE and NAUTICAL HISTORY many older volumes long out of print, and it is done in the originals CHECK IT OUT, if i knew how to post the links I WOULD BUT DO NOT KNOW HOW. THANKS Don

I have Pre-Ordered two books which will be released in the next weeks

Sovereign of the Seas 1637: A Reconstruction of the Most Powerful Warship of Its Day
by John Mckay (Author) - planned release at 28th February 2020

91igcVbAXcL.jpg

Synopsis:
Sovereign of the Seas was the most spectacular, extravagant and controversial warship of the early seventeenth century. The ultimate royal prestige project, whose armament was increased by the King's decree to the unheard-of figure of one hundred guns, the ship finally cost the equivalent of ten more conventional warships. In this book, John McKay sets out to analyze the data and reconstruct the design and appearance of the ship in a degree of detail never previously attempted. The results are presented as a folio of superbly drafted plans, isometric drawings and colored renderings, covering every aspect of the design from the hull form to the minutiae of sails and rigging.
  • Gebundene Ausgabe: 272 Seiten
  • Verlag: U S NAVAL INST PR (28. Februar 2020)
  • Sprache: Englisch
  • ISBN-10: 1526766299
  • ISBN-13: 978-1526766298
  • Größe und/oder Gewicht: 24,1 x 28,6 cm

and also

The Master Shipwright's Secrets: How Charles II built the Restoration Navy
by Richard Endsor (Author) planned release at 5th March 2020

the_master_shipwright_s_secrets_1.jpg

Synopsis:
Inspired by the recent discovery of mathematically calculated digital plans for a fourth-rate ship by the Deptford master shipwright, John Shish, The Master Shipwright's Secrets is an illustrated history of Restoration shipbuilding focused on the Tyger, one of the smaller but powerful two-deck warships of the period. It examines the proceedings of King Charles II in deciding the types of ship he wanted and his relationship with his master shipwrights.

This fascinating book reveals the many secrets of Charles II's shipwrights through an analysis of John Shish's plans for the Tyger, revealing innovative practical calculations which differ significantly from the few contemporary treatises on the subject and the complicated process of constructing the moulds necessary to make the ship's frame. All the other duties performed by the master shipwrights, such as repairing ships, controlling their men and keeping up with the latest inventions are also discussed in detail.

The Master Shipwright's Secrets is replete with beautiful and detailed illustrations of the construction of the Tyger and explores both its complicated history and its complex rebuilding, complete with deck plans, internal sections, and large-scale external shaded drawings. The title also explores associated ships, including another fourth-rate ship, the Mordaunt, which was purchased into the Navy at the time and underwent a dimensional survey by John Shish. A rare contemporary section drawing of another fourth-rate English ship and constructional drawings of Shish's later fourth-rate ship, St Albans, are also included.
  • Gebundene Ausgabe: 304 Seiten
  • Verlag: Osprey Publishing (5. März 2020)
  • Sprache: Englisch
  • ISBN-10: 1472838386
  • ISBN-13: 978-1472838384
  • Größe und/oder Gewicht: 25,3 x 30 cm

I will make as soon as possible a Book Review here in SOS....... so stay tuned .....

Just bought three used publications from a french modeler, which will be send hopefully this week.

gemma10.jpg scuna10.jpg vzonus10.jpg

Gemma - Tartane Ligure 1863 - Franco Fissore
Scuna (monographie en langue italienne) - Brigantino Goletta 1903 - Franco Fissore
Les Maquettes de Navires Anciens vues à Travers la Venus de 1782 - Pierre Corbières 1994
Compilation of articles published in numbers 200 to 298 of the Modèle Réduit de Bateau
(Very rare copy which shows step by step the complete construction of this ship)

When they arrived I will show you some more details and insight views

Back