New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

[QUOTE = "Uwek, post: 86023, membro: 5020"]
Ho appena ricevuto un nuovo libro - e sembra molto interessante

Das Erbe der Serenissima
Rekonstruktion und Restaurierung eines venezianischen Linienschiffsmodells von 1794
del Dr. Karl Klaus Körner

tradotto qualcosa come:
L'eredità della Serenissima - Ricostruzione e restauro di una nave veneziana della linea del 1794

View attachment 130979

in allegato 25 disegni della monografia del modello
View attachment 130980

questo era il modello prima del restauro, dimenticato nella cantina dei musei Heeresgeschichtlichen di Vienna
View attachment 130976

e dopo il restauro torna nel museo
View attachment 130977

View attachment 130978

[URL unfurl = "true"] https://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=513216&Language=de [/ URL]
[/CITAZIONE]

Ciao, direi che hai fatto un ottimo acquisto, la miglior documentazione riguardo i vascelli e fregate veneziani. Io e l'ingegnere Luigi ci siamo basati molto su questi piani per la ricostruzione del vascello veneziano che ho iniziato a fare e che in seguito Ancre ne farà pure la monografia.

google:
Hi, I would say that you have made an excellent purchase, the best documentation regarding Venetian vessels and frigates. Engineer Luigi and I relied heavily on these plans for the reconstruction of the Venetian vessel that I started to make and which Ancre will later also make a monograph of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received a new book - and it looks like a very interesting one

Das Erbe der Serenissima
Rekonstruktion und Restaurierung eines venezianischen Linienschiffsmodells von 1794
by Dr. Karl Klaus Körner

translated something like:
The Legacy of the Serenissima - Reconstruction and Restoration of a venecian Ship of the Line of 1794

View attachment 130979

attached 25 drawings of the monograph of the model
View attachment 130980

this was the model before the restoration, forgotten in the cellar of the Heeresgeschichtlichen Museums in Vienna
View attachment 130976

and after the restoration back in the museum
View attachment 130977

View attachment 130978

Hallo, evtl. Interessenten.

Ich habe dieses Buch , ( Neuwertig, Planzeichnungen noch in Folie verpackt)
und möchte es verkaufen.
VB 69,00 Euro, einschl. Versand ,innerhalb Deutschland

Karl (Jeronimo)

Last edited:
Just got a new book, which was fresh published

Sovereign of the Seas, 1637:
A Reconstruction of the Most Powerful Warship of its Day
by John McKay (Autor)

10.jpg

9.jpg 8.jpg

Synopsis:
Sovereign of the Seas was the most spectacular, extravagant and controversial warship of the early seventeenth century. The ultimate royal prestige project, whose armament was increased by the King's decree to the unheard-of figure of one hundred guns, the ship finally cost the equivalent of ten more conventional warships. In this book, John McKay sets out to analyze the data and reconstruct the design and appearance of the ship in a degree of detail never previously attempted. The results are presented as a folio of superbly drafted plans, isometric drawings and colored renderings, covering every aspect of the design from the hull form to the minutiae of sails and rigging.

First comment: It is looking like a great book and addition in the library - great drawing pages - like from the Anatomy-series

7.jpg

7.jpg 6.jpg

5.jpg 4.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg 2.jpg

1.jpg

You beat me to it Uwe,I ordered this book yesterday and won't get it till Sunday.Amazon prime has also been affected by COVID 19.I am looking forward to it.Having spent ALOT of hours studying what historic information is still in existence,one must take a view that it is John McKay's best guess.One thing that shouts out to me,it was written that Sovereign's hull had two layers of external planking.John only show's one in the section you have shown in your pictures.There are a few other things that I notice but won't bore you with,however I don't doubt it will be a good read

Kind Regards

Nigel

Uwe,
Thanks for the link (Sovereign of the Seas) - ordered the book today on Amazon. This ship has been on my list since I started this hobby - way back when. Have not yet bought a kit - this book will prob. make me do it.
Cheers

You beat me to it Uwe,I ordered this book yesterday and won't get it till Sunday.Amazon prime has also been affected by COVID 19.I am looking forward to it.Having spent ALOT of hours studying what historic information is still in existence,one must take a view that it is John McKay's best guess.One thing that shouts out to me,it was written that Sovereign's hull had two layers of external planking.John only show's one in the section you have shown in your pictures.There are a few other things that I notice but won't bore you with,however I don't doubt it will be a good read

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hallo Nigel,
due to the fact, that you know the ship much better than me, it would be great, if you can make the book review, or comment in detail about your impression, after I made the Look Inside of the book - would be great to read about your opinion...

Not sure, If I will ever build that model, most likely not, at least in this world, but have ordered this book as well for my collection. Will need to get another shelf on the wall.... luck of space... :(

And it would be great if Nigel make a book review, agree with Uwe!

Thanks Guys I will do it this weekendThumbsupI have received it today,earlier than stated.Delivery services are all over the place in the current climate.Early impressions are that is an extremely nice publication reminiscent of Richard Ensor's offerings.
I must have spent well over 1000 hours spread over two years researching the ship as I went along.Many debates with other modellers building the vessel over opinions of how each of us perceived things might have been.As I have stated before,there is very little factual evidence remaining on this ship.I found the facts and filled in the gaps using judgement and a little artistic licence on my build as it stands.One thing I have noticed though,I worked out the main gun deck must have been split level at the stern to achieve gunports in the positions shown in the artworks,John McKay draws the same conclusion in his plans.

Kind Regards

Nigel

For quarantine reading, I picked up "Rounding the Horn" at a Little Free Library" down the street from me ( https://littlefreelibrary.org/ ):
Well written- an interesting history and travelogue that goes into just why it is such a bear to sail through. Honestly it's one of the best seafaring books I've read in a while. In English and I don't think there are any translations available, unfortunately.

I wish John McKain was a bit quicker with this book... Now it is too late for me. It looks like a great book, although for the first glance in the previous posts (I don't have the book) I found a few questionable points. Anyhow I stick with that Chech study and the Busmann book for my model of SOS.
János

In the intro - he does discuss the obvious questionable points given that so little of her was left after she burned. And that most of the art is based on two or so paintings along with written logs, and contemporary writings. She will, nonetheless, be a fun project.

Regards,

Back