New pendant motor. Which Foredom to buy

• Members
  • Location Trinidad & Tobago
Posted 9 hours ago
I am planning to upgrade my work bench in the next few months and need advice on which Foredom to buy and what accessories i should purchase. I am sure some of you have experience with these wonderful hanging pendant drills.
The first challenge is which model to buy
- SR, TX and LX. SR seems to be the most recommended but lacks torque at very low speeds. I do not have a drill that works well at very low speeds. All my drills are high speed.
- WHICH SPEED CONTROLLER TO BUY, FOOT OR DESK TOP. I have a foot controller for the Dremel hanging tool but was considering getting a table top speed controller. No particular reason, just adding options.
-WHICH HAND PIECE TO BUY. From the reading about various post there are quick release hand pieces with a flexible attachment as well as a 3 jaw Jacob chuck no. 30 seems to be the recommended first hand piece. Then the suggested quick release # 18 seems recommended. Will all my Dremel pieces work? There is also a flexible attachment that is being recommended with most hand pieces.
- WHICH SHAFT SHOULD I USE. there seem to be two types of shafts, one with a square end the other has a a key at the end. Also owners make reference to the shaft being stiff. My preference would be the key end shaft
- WILL I NEED ANOTHE DESK ATTACHMENT TO HANG THE MOTOR. i have one for the Dremel but suspect that it will not carry the weight of the Foredom.
- ARE THERE ANY ATTACHMENTS THAT ARE A MUST HAVE. there is a 90 degree angle head for sanding and a small belt sander. Not that i need another drill press but there also seems to be a drill pressas eell.

i am in no rush as Susan will be giving me this for Christmas.
Kevin

I have now purchase the Foredom with the following accessories and made up the base using two MacPro computer bases. Just waiting on everynthing to arrive now. One side will hold the accessories for the Foredom and Dremel while the other will be for all my soldering tools and accessories.

705310EE-5F36-45F3-B2FE-657329A69216.jpeg

5BC35D75-AEEC-4388-ADE3-39F40DA24CA2.jpeg

308605C6-1B93-42E8-A728-5BC763CBAE1A.jpeg

D2EB8BCF-0254-43C3-9C42-F73789BA940E.jpeg

ABBFC794-CA76-4171-A2EA-F99047236317.jpeg

Hey Kevin, while your questions are way above my pay grade, I just wanted to say that I really enjoy watching your videos. great content. Thanks for sharing.

I have the 5240 wood carving kit and added the # 30 handpiece with the 3 jaw chuck. I also purchased the Vanda-lay ACRA MILL PLUS and purchased the Foredom holder for the Acra Mill. The combination can do pretty much anything I need. Your imagination is your only thing that holds you back when using the Foredom. Fantastic tool! The Acra Mill allows you to position the tool head and secure it so you can use your hands to control the part you are working with. The X/Y table gives you the ability to use it for simple milling operations and the Foredom SR tool and hand pieces are designed to carve wood, they can take any stress you throw at them. The dremel bits work well in the chucck system in the #30 hand piece. The handpiece that came with the 5240 kit has a collet system and I use it when milling. I love the Foredom. I also use Dremel tools but love the Foredom for anything that requires more power and control. The SR motor is powerful.

I had said that i would never deal with Vanda Lay again after they refused to help me get a manual for a duplicator that i purchased from them some years ago. Anyway, i did go on the site but am not seeing the adaptor for the Foredom #30 hand piece. I already have a sherline mill and lath so not sure this would add to jy shop. The router table does look interesting. I wonder if it will fit on this ?

You need to call Vanda Lay, phone number is on the website and he will tell you the cost of the Foredom holder. I can not remember what I paid for mine but very nice and holds the tool perfectly.

Back