New Shop / Workbench

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Well,
as of last week, I have been in the process of completely remodeling my work area. I removed just about 90% of all work area, benches, etc. So any building of projects will not be taking place for at least the end of the month. I have no plans right now for another ship to build. I wanted to take a break, and rebuild my shop as things were getting too crowded and cluttered. It might be the end of the year before I venture into another major ship build log, but the main thing I am still here reading forums when I can. I have no idea what my next build would be, but I was looking into the Golden Hind or the Rotter Lowe.

On the Workbench, I decided to start from scratch. I had some 2x4 framing left over and all of it got reused to start on a new workbench. I think I have put in about 20 + hours into it. Still not complete. Since this is being built in one of my bedrooms, I am trying to make the work area look like a "built-in" as it will be painted / stained, etc to blend in with the room as is.

I think my work space will double. I remember when I built my first (completed) ship in plastic, I had a very small humble table about 4 foot square and a Medium size storage chest which could have been used for either tools, or jewelery (bought at Lowes) at the time.

What has caused all the increase is the addition of more machinist tools. I just acquired a Sherline Mill a few days ago and I realized I was completely out of working area.

Donnie

A new toy again and no project to use it on? You keep getting new toys and you will have to do a house expansion. :lol:
Having adequate space is really important and a safety feature for the model. Having it as part of the house makes it better so that it does not make the admiral feel deserted if you are always out in the shop and she has to fetch for any reason.

I haven't read anywhere, but the question or query is it worth having an adjustable base or jig that the ship is clamped into. It revolves on it's length axis, So planking etc. can be done without really having to stand above it to work.
I am thinking of adding something like this before the next build. I find while sitting sometimes it's awkward to do the deck beams , furniture, planking and wish it was at a slight angle to the table top.
Do any of you gents use something like this?
Dav

I think there are a few here that have used it, but I have no experience with it. If you post this question under the "Time for coffee, general discussion, and other interest" section, you might get a better answer from several people.

Back