New to Hobby, Need Bluenose reference information.

Hello from Milford, Ohio. I retired last year and after about 100 plastic models of planes and ships, I would like to challenge a wood sailing ship. When I was in the US Navy, I saw many wonderful ship models. I hope to be able to create some myself for my grandkids. I am starting with the Amati Bluenose 1:100. Where would I find historical reference data and photographs to supplement the instructions and drawings included in the kit?

Hello Kurt. A warm welcome aboard.
I can't help you myself with reference data but there is a group build here on SoS of this famous vessel. I can advise you to check some build logs there. There are quite some astonishing models to admire.

Welcome to the hobby. Bluenose seems to be an extremely popular subject, no shortage of build logs. If you are looking for basic history of the ship, Wikipedia gives a good summary. You can find plenty of supplemental information on this site and Model Ship World, just use the Search feature.

Is it Model Shipways Amati version MS1447 Kit. Ive ran into many issues with the instructions. Supplied with 3 sheets of prints. The steps in the instructions are ok until you get to figure 88-92 and steps 93-115. Thats where the instructions actually suck. Good luck with your build. If I can be any help…I’m here.

Is it Model Shipways Amati version MS1447 Kit. Ive ran into many issues with the instructions. Supplied with 3 sheets of prints. The steps in the instructions are ok until you get to figure 88-92 and steps 93-115. Thats where the instructions actually suck. Good luck with your build. If I can be any help…I’m here

I have taken the past week to try and capture as much information and prior knowledge as possible before beginning. Many sites have provided interesting and knowledgeable information. I have captured many photographs of the Bluenose and Bluenose models for review. Now that I have completed my Fair-A-Frame, I am ready to spread out all the materials in the kit and insure they are in good order. I hope to assemble the keel this weekend.

If you’re a reader you might search eBay for a copy of “Witch In The Wind” a very thoroughly researched history of the Bluenose, it’s building, racing, ownership and very long life. Researched and written by a couple who live in Nova Scotia.

Hello from Milford, Ohio. I retired last year and after about 100 plastic models of planes and ships, I would like to challenge a wood sailing ship. When I was in the US Navy, I saw many wonderful ship models. I hope to be able to create some myself for my grandkids. I am starting with the Amati Bluenose 1:100. Where would I find historical reference data and photographs to supplement the instructions and drawings included in the kit?
Hi,

I struggled with my Artesania Bluenose II and found a few reference sources that were very useful.

First check out the official website:

Bluenose 100 | Bluenose II (novascotia.ca).

As well as all the builds on SOS this log by the Suburban modeller I found particularly helpful:

https://suburbanshipmodeler.com

I also bought a second hand copy of this really nice book. It is well worth buying for the history and has nice drawings of the rigging and fittings:

Bluenose II, Saga of the great fishing schooners by JB Jenson, Nimbus Publishing, ISBN 1-55109-063-5

Good luck with the build

Hello Kurt. A warm welcome aboard.
I can't help you myself with reference data but there is a group build here on SoS of this famous vessel. I can advise you to check some build logs there. There are quite some astonishing models to admire.
Actually Kurt is you do on online search you should find plenty of info about the Bluenose and Bluenose 2

I was researching Great Lakes schooners and came across this gem of a book. I see that you can get it at Amazon in Canada, presumably also in the USA. At $35 Canadian it is a steal. Maybe see if you can find a good used hardcover copy though because you will be opening this up a lot. It was a big help to me and the details are fascinating.

20240309_095417.jpg

What is the title of the book on Great Lakes schooners?
The book I referenced was about the Bluenose. The photo is just from a 2-part article I wrote for the Nautical Research Journal. It's the story of my research, design and build of a 3-masted GL schooner. There is a detailed bibliography at the end of the article.

Hello Kurt.
In the Bluenose Build Group that Herman also mentioned, you can find this thread where we collected old material:
Good luck with your search.
Regards, Peter

The L.B. Jensen book is excellent for model builders with lots of diagrams and drawings, but it mostly documents the Bluenose II, which is a little different than the original Bluenose. The B2 was built more as a modern marketing and tourist vessel and not a fisher, so it has slightly more interior headroom and different deck layout and fittings. There are some drawings of the original Bluenose in the Jensen book so it would still be a good reference for either Bluenose.

Hello Kurt and welcome to the forum. I would invite you to join a local ship modeling club: Shipwrights of Ohio, hosted from Columbus, with members in Oxford, Dayton. Cleveland, Akron, Columbus and Lancaster. We meet the third Saturday of each month with a hybrid meeting. Check out our web site at www.shipwrightsofohio.com. If interested in joining us, let me know at shipwright@breezelineohio.net.

L.B. Jenson published in 1975 a book titled "Bluenose II" Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners with measured drawings. The soft cover document is available through amazon.com. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hello Kurt. There is a really good practicum available free to download on the internet. It is by Gene Bodnar and is 135 pages. I downloaded it and had it bound before starting my model, which was made from plans bought in Lunenburg, N S where the boat was built. Check it out! Good luck

I am overwhelmed with thanks for all the greetings and information.
Started yesterday to compile A NOTEBOOK with all the information being gathered. I hope to make good use of the reference materials.
After studying the Amati Bluenose drawings and plans. I have a rough idea on how to begin the hull. I started by numbering / lettering all the laser cut parts in reference to the drawings and instructions. I am starting my logbook. I have also started taking photographs and video of the construction steps to share later.

Back