New to Sailing Ship Modelling

Hi All. I am new to this style of modelling and my previous experience of some time ago includes airfix plastic models and control-line and radio controlled aircraft. I have reached the stage of doing the running rigging on an OcCre 1:70 model of the Endurance.

Thank you all for your welcome. I posted the query below on a forum on a completed Endurance model by BLD SHPS. I am not sure if the was the best way to seek assistance so I am repeating it here and hope someone may be able to steer me to the correct approach.

I am new to sailing ship modelling and have reached the running rigging of the Endurance. I am pretty happy with the major structure for a first time effort. However, the videos and instructions for the running rigging leave a bit to be desired. For example, ropes JT40 and JT63 come through pulley blocks in front of the square sails but are supposed to be tied off on a deadeye behind the foremast (JT40) and to a belay pin (JT63) also behind the foremast. I also note that many of the rigging lines need to be tied off to belaying pins that are behind the shrouds and almost impossible to access.
I note your great ideas that may have solved this if implemented earlier but I thought following the instructions would avoid these sorts of issues.
At the moment I see great risk of destroying the safety fences or the standing rigging while trying to tie off these lines. Any ideas on how the running rigging should be progressed would be most welcome.
Regards

May I suggest, that instead of trying to follow the difficult and ambiguous instructions, you purchase a book on square ship rigging. Learning the basic lines from a book such as Peter Lennarth’s Rigging Period Ship Models is really where you want to go if you want to understand rigging easily. Once you’ve rigged, one ship, the next is easy. You’ll know what all the lines are for, and how they work. That book will teach you using pictures and diagrams of all the types of lines. Then return to the instructions and see how they rig each line. Be prepared to find differences and errors in the instructions.

1700364243196.jpeg

May I suggest, that instead of trying to follow the difficult and ambiguous instructions, you purchase a book on square ship rigging. Learning the basic lines from a book such as Peter Lennarth’s Rigging Period Ship Models is really where you want to go if you want to understand rigging easily. Once you’ve rigged, one ship, the next is easy. You’ll know what all the lines are for, and how they work. That book will teach you using pictures and diagrams of all the types of lines. Then return to the instructions and see how they rig each line. Be prepared to find differences and errors in the instructions.

View attachment 407844
Thanks for your advice I will certainly give that a try. It is also reassuring to know that the instructions are not always error-free and it may not be me failing to read them correctly.

As per your example of "ropes JT40 and JT63". For those not familiar with the model, it might help more if we could see a picture of the plan(s) so we can get a better idea.
Do you have any pictures of the ship so far?

Thank you all for your welcome. I posted the query below on a forum on a completed Endurance model by BLD SHPS. I am not sure if the was the best way to seek assistance so I am repeating it here and hope someone may be able to steer me to the correct approach.

I am new to sailing ship modelling and have reached the running rigging of the Endurance. I am pretty happy with the major structure for a first time effort. However, the videos and instructions for the running rigging leave a bit to be desired. For example, ropes JT40 and JT63 come through pulley blocks in front of the square sails but are supposed to be tied off on a deadeye behind the foremast (JT40) and to a belay pin (JT63) also behind the foremast. I also note that many of the rigging lines need to be tied off to belaying pins that are behind the shrouds and almost impossible to access.
I note your great ideas that may have solved this if implemented earlier but I thought following the instructions would avoid these sorts of issues.
At the moment I see great risk of destroying the safety fences or the standing rigging while trying to tie off these lines. Any ideas on how the running rigging should be progressed would be most welcome.
Regards
you will need to purchase or make some rigging tools so you can do thing that are beyond the reach of your fingers. :) A sample of these tools can be found
here . As far as where the lines mentioned terminate, I can't help with that so much as I've not built that kit. However, sometimes you have to take matters into your own hand. If you belay the lines at a place that is not correct, no one is going to call you out on it. :)

Many model instruction sets tend to assume prior experience or knowledge of how things work…or they are just lazy and don’t provide the necessary details to assist. One idea of course is to supplement build instructions with additional resources such as the books mentioned in previous postings here. Another idea is to invest in a rigging practicum. These are teaching/instructional tools developed by professional modelers that guide one through all of the intricacies of rigging through text, audio, photos, and video. Excellent tools. One such source is Bob Hunt’s Lauckstreetshipyard.com. He has several masting and rigging practicums of various ship models. You can email him to get his opinion on which practicum would best support your model. A practicum can be worth its price in sorting out the questions you have expressed in your posting. Of course we would also help you with specific issues if you can post a photo or three and ask how we work the rigging…just to admit…we have all been in your conundrum…model on!

Hi All. I am new to this style of modelling and my previous experience of some time ago includes airfix plastic models and control-line and radio controlled aircraft. I have reached the stage of doing the running rigging on an OcCre 1:70 model of the Endurance.
Hallo @KayJay
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back