New to Wooden Ship building

Its a solid hull. But attaching to the outside would make it easier to attach than directly onto the deck. As this is my first go I think I'll attach to the outside. The video link was terrific thanks for sending. Appreciate your help. I've attached two plastic ships I built. The Liberty Ship was in honor of my Father who served in the Merchant Marines WWII. The Shrimp boat was featured in Fine Scale Modeler Mag. But its time to move onto wooden boats.

View attachment 422240

View attachment 422241
I sailed in the US Merchant Marine for years as an Engineering officer on such vessels as that liberty ship, except my favorite was the last of the "C" series, the S.S. Cleveland, formerly the S.S. American Mail. My father sailed a C-2, and I sailed a C-5-s-75a. Welcome to our forum!
1705780576609.png

Last edited:
I would use CA gel for this part. Moisture cures CA so you can attach while the wood is moist. Place drops of CA gel every inch or so for the first few inches…place and hold for 10 seconds…the CA should bond the part to the deck. Then given the curve of the deck you can work your way down the part by adding a few drops of the CA gel…hold…continue. This is what I would do for bonding this part to the deck…

I have beena plastic model builder for many years and have purchased a few wooden ship kits that have been collecting dust. Now that I am retired I have started one of the first ones I purchased, "The Scientific Model Co Dos Amigos Baltimore Clipper". It's a solid hull model. I've got the hull and deck sanded and ready for the next step which is attaching the Main Bulwark which looks like it is attached right onto the deck. The instructions say to hold in place with pins but the part is very thin and the pins I have from Model Expo are too thick.
Is this a trick to this step?
Hallo @Jimmy Grapes
we wish you all the BEST and a Happy Birthday
Birthday-Cake

Back