New to Wooden Ship building

I have beena plastic model builder for many years and have purchased a few wooden ship kits that have been collecting dust. Now that I am retired I have started one of the first ones I purchased, "The Scientific Model Co Dos Amigos Baltimore Clipper". It's a solid hull model. I've got the hull and deck sanded and ready for the next step which is attaching the Main Bulwark which looks like it is attached right onto the deck. The instructions say to hold in place with pins but the part is very thin and the pins I have from Model Expo are too thick.
Is this a trick to this step?

Balt Clipper.jpg

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Welcome to the forums !
One thing that will help is pre-shaping the bulwark before you attach it. Put a curve into it to match the shape of the hull first. Some people do it with just water, some people do it with just heat. I like to use both. Wet it and then bend it over a hot soldering iron as you move the wood back and forth. you can put the soldering iron in a vice to hold it. Here is a link to a video:
Plank bending video

I am not familiar with this kit. Look a little farther in the directions. Do you plank the outside of the hull? If so, the bulwark should probably be attached to the outside edge of the deck so the outside edge of the bulwark is even with the outside edge of the planking.

Its a solid hull. But attaching to the outside would make it easier to attach than directly onto the deck. As this is my first go I think I'll attach to the outside. The video link was terrific thanks for sending. Appreciate your help. I've attached two plastic ships I built. The Liberty Ship was in honor of my Father who served in the Merchant Marines WWII. The Shrimp boat was featured in Fine Scale Modeler Mag. But its time to move onto wooden boats.

John Brown Liberty Ship1.jpg

Shrimp Boat 2.jpg

Its a solid hull. But attaching to the outside would make it easier to attach than directly onto the deck. As this is my first go I think I'll attach to the outside. The video link was terrific thanks for sending. Appreciate your help. I've attached two plastic ships I built. The Liberty Ship was in honor of my Father who served in the Merchant Marines WWII. The Shrimp boat was featured in Fine Scale Modeler Mag. But its time to move onto wooden boats.

View attachment 422240

View attachment 422241
Beautiful work on these two models. The weathering detail is fantastic.
Welcome to the forum , great group of people here . Good luck with your new interest in wooden boats.

Welcome aboard. Take the stand from beneath the tug and one would think he was looking a a picture of a real Tug. Very nice detail.

The instructions say to hold in place with pins but the part is very thin and the pins I have from Model Expo are too thick.
One thing I would try is UV setting glue such as bondit. I would shape the wood as Corsair suggests, but it has to dry first for the glue to work. I would use it in spots. The glue is not as strong as say tightbond but you can get it to set instantly once you have the wood in the position you want. I use this often on plastic models when I want to set a delicate piece of PE in place.

I have beena plastic model builder for many years and have purchased a few wooden ship kits that have been collecting dust. Now that I am retired I have started one of the first ones I purchased, "The Scientific Model Co Dos Amigos Baltimore Clipper". It's a solid hull model. I've got the hull and deck sanded and ready for the next step which is attaching the Main Bulwark which looks like it is attached right onto the deck. The instructions say to hold in place with pins but the part is very thin and the pins I have from Model Expo are too thick.
Is this a trick to this step?

View attachment 422134
Maybe try CA?

Interesting as this is the first (method) that they want you to glue the bulwark on top of the deck with no support other than pins. As the others suggested, I would run hot water on the part while carefully trying to PREBEND to SHAPE and let it dry - maybe using a hairdryer to speed it up. If the part is prebent well enough, then it becomes much easier to hold in place as the goal is to try to get it to just SIT there. The pins are probably too thick. Maybe if you can get the part prebent like you like it. Then set it in place and use MASKING TAPE along the length of the part on the OUTSIDE of the bulwark. Once it is all setup, then I would put a bead on white glue or titebond along the edge. then, of course, remove the tape, use a 50-50 water-glue solution, and use a paintbrush - paint the remaining outside to let the glue mixer WICK into the edge.

One thing I would try is UV setting glue such as bondit. I would shape the wood as Corsair suggests, but it has to dry first for the glue to work. I would use it in spots. The glue is not as strong as say tightbond but you can get it to set instantly once you have the wood in the position you want. I use this often on plastic models when I want to set a delicate piece of PE in place.
Not familiar with Bondit I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Interesting as this is the first (method) that they want you to glue the bulwark on top of the deck with no support other than pins. As the others suggested, I would run hot water on the part while carefully trying to PREBEND to SHAPE and let it dry - maybe using a hairdryer to speed it up. If the part is prebent well enough, then it becomes much easier to hold in place as the goal is to try to get it to just SIT there. The pins are probably too thick. Maybe if you can get the part prebent like you like it. Then set it in place and use MASKING TAPE along the length of the part on the OUTSIDE of the bulwark. Once it is all setup, then I would put a bead on white glue or titebond along the edge. then, of course, remove the tape, use a 50-50 water-glue solution, and use a paintbrush - paint the remaining outside to let the glue mixer WICK into the edge.
Will prebend I believe this is the answer. This way I can place the bulwark on top of the deck. Thanks! Glad I joined Ships of Scale!

Back