NEW TOYS

So acquired this last Tuesday... If I was a younger lad I would have gone with the surline mill , but I can see my days are numbered,and I have not enough time to take up a new hobby of milling. Machining metal has always fascinated me a mini lath would be nice too.

Click to open expanded view
  • 41tc5FgROIL._AC_US40_.jpg

Proxxon 37110 Micro Mill MF 70​

Last week I got the Rigid spindle / belt sander...

I was reduced by 50$ so I went for it . I am super satisfied should have bought this 30 years ago.

Hey smelly you're just a pup, there's plenty of time to get good at what ever you want.
Two weeks ago I bought a Resin 3D Printer and after a few hours of youtube instructional videos, some failures, more learning and knowing what to look out for I'm getting results that are almost as good as the pros- almost:oops:

Ok, so after much consideration, I decided to return the proxxon MF mill Back to Amazon. I wood like to go the cnc route. There are a number of low cost , very good Machines out there. Not to mention the fact that they are at least 200 dollars cheaper than the proxxon. Have my eye on this model,

Please leave a comment.....

I don't think you can compare the MF70 mill to this 'machine'.
Also, the stepper motors in the Italien kit you looked at are 1.0 (1.27) Nm. These are 0.25 Nm which is very small stepper motors. I don't know but I would guess it can't be used for much more than engraving.

Man,
I hate to see you return that Mill, it has very SPECIFIC things that it can perform as opposed to that flatbed CNC. Both of these machines have each specific things that only they can perform. Both are good to have, but one or the other can do things that the other will be impossible to do. Yikes !!!

Ok, so after much consideration, I decided to return the proxxon MF mill Back to Amazon. I wood like to go the cnc route. There are a number of low cost , very good Machines out there. Not to mention the fact that they are at least 200 dollars cheaper than the proxxon. Have my eye on this model,

Please leave a comment.....
I got that CNC 3018 as a present. I used it a couple of times to make a dozen of the same part-bits. I am not a scratch builder so I have very limited use for this machine. I prefer my MF70, but that is just me.

if your going to get a cnc, do not buy a chinese 2030, 20 18 etc. It is a just an engraver( i know by personal experience). Purchase a open source CNC kit ( xcarve, Shapeko, 3d techworks, 3dtek, blucarve etc). You looking around the $1000 US mark.
They are stable enough to do wood, acrylic, alumimium( at a slow speed.). The basic models all use a std plunge router. ( makita, dewalt etc), you can cut a lot more accurate that hand controlled xy tables . A mill has its use, but if your doing repeated precision cutting or anything with curves, a cnc is a much better option.

If you can draw the ship parts in cad, you can cut them out on the CNC. ( i'm 62 and do not have a engineering degree or machinist experience, but I can draw what i need and tell the software to create a file that the CNC understands ( in my case gcode for an xcarve( open builds), send it to the machine and it cuts it out for me. No special high end computer needed Just a cheap laptop ( or my rasperry pi 3( yes it runs CNC sender software) ) and a usb connection to the cnc.

Once you start making cutting boards, jewelry boxes, ornaments, kids toys ,signs for the house etc it even gets admiralty approval!

Back