New UK member

Hello all,. I am new to this hobby although I have spent some years messing about with scratch built scale RC sail planes for slope soaring. I am now too old to go climbing hills to chuck them off so am now staying nearer sea level and starting with ships/boats. I had a Billings Bluenose kit which I bought and started about 35 years ago and decided to pick that up again. It was basically at hull planked stage. Study of build logs on several forums soon made me realise the hobby is now more sophisticated than my old kit would suggest. (My old kit had a deck with the caulking printed on it, it looked horrible, so I started off by ripping that off and fixing a plain thin ply sub deck to accept proper planking - now all done). In addition it became clear the kit was less than accurate in depiction of Bluenose. For instance half the winch and engine box were not shown at all and the fore mast featured the same type of semi circular fife rail as the main mast
which a quick study of historic pictures of the 1921 boat shows this was not the case. So I am attempting to put these things right as I go. I am now at the point where I am making mast fittings and agin my plan is at significant odds with what I see on other build logs. I wonder is there anyone out there who has details of mast and boom fittings and following that standing and running rigging details. Any details will be gratefully received. I will attempt to post a picture of the current state of play with my build.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
you are showing a very good build model

Hello all,. I am new to this hobby although I have spent some years messing about with scratch built scale RC sail planes for slope soaring. I am now too old to go climbing hills to chuck them off so am now staying nearer sea level and starting with ships/boats. I had a Billings Bluenose kit which I bought and started about 35 years ago and decided to pick that up again. It was basically at hull planked stage. Study of build logs on several forums soon made me realise the hobby is now more sophisticated than my old kit would suggest. (My old kit had a deck with the caulking printed on it, it looked horrible, so I started off by ripping that off and fixing a plain thin ply sub deck to accept proper planking - now all done). In addition it became clear the kit was less than accurate in depiction of Bluenose. For instance half the winch and engine box were not shown at all and the fore mast featured the same type of semi circular fife rail as the main mast
which a quick study of historic pictures of the 1921 boat shows this was not the case. So I am attempting to put these things right as I go. I am now at the point where I am making mast fittings and agin my plan is at significant odds with what I see on other build logs. I wonder is there anyone out there who has details of mast and boom fittings and following that standing and running rigging details. Any details will be gratefully received. I will attempt to post a picture of the current state of play with my build.
Hi ‘Pdot’, nice to see you are building again on your Bluenose. It’s looking very nice.
About the details for the standing and running rigging. It’s you are on the SoS now! There are a lot of BN build, showing those details.
In the 1st post of the thread, you will find a excel ‘BN-list’:
It is in the BN YuanQing area, but in the lower part of the list you will see builds of BN’s of other manufacturers.
Incl. 4 of the BB BN-Original.
But the plans of Model Shipways gives a lot of details for the rigging. So, build-log’s of those are also very interesting for you.
And Dean @Dean62, Johan @RDN1954 and myself (see below in my signature) are detailing the rigging derived from those MS-plans. Those plans are also sold apart from a kit. I bought them myself. It’s a great investment.
And ….. when you start a build-log, you can post your pictures and all the questions you have. And I am sure, you get a answer within no time.
You can start it in this area:
And I will ad your build-log to the list.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back