Noob Question

My first kit was a simple plank on bulkhead kit. I think it was less than $100. I learned many of the basic skills for wood model ship building. It took me six months to finish. The kit was the Revenue Cutter by ModelShipways...a ModelExpo brand. My second kit was the Bounty by Billings. That was way more complex, cost around $300, and took me two years to finish. Looking back I would not suggest a scratch build attempt as a first model. Basic skills are best learned with a few kits. Cost does not always equal quality but might reflect complexity. The more parts and details the higher the cost. I would also consider a larger scale as the details easier to work. Somewhere around 1/54 or so. One last comment. Being new to the hobby it helps to have instruction and guidance. The forums here will provide a lot of helpful guidance. Another source is to get a practicum that guides and teaches the build process. There are many sources of well done practicums available, most connected to a specific model. One such source, as an example, is Lauckstreetshipyard.com. They have beginners practicums that walk you through simpler kits. Have fun!

Last edited:
Back