Nordlandsbåt - Billing Boats

Thought of starting this thread as well, whilst practicing for my wisløff nordlandsboat which i am in a sort of a standstill and unsure of how to proceed with it.

357029049_667648395275343_5756253469709697969_n.jpg

The box. The box photo could maybe have been a bit better, but otherwise nice and surprisingly sturdy box! (I am gonna need a bigger boat! no wait, a bigger table, yes.)

358768639_3671886833039456_6790734296854401356_n.jpg

The box contents plus paperwork that comes with the kit. Also in the box are some of my tools that i chucked in. The boat has been modeled after a fembøring named Opreisningen, which resides in a museum in Oslo.

358917261_818626679852929_1037560982042257852_n.jpg

358326196_733185511900383_9218996331833467771_n.jpg

Drawings that billing boats has in the kit, Quite nice, but as it happens, i own another drawing of the same boat;

358635685_991569718650123_2620660111095784360_n.jpg

In which some of you might see some differences without even overlaying them over each other. This means i will not try to replicate Opreisningen, but i will just build a generic and nice looking boat out of it - hopefully, that is. At least i can take approximate plank join locations out of the better drawings of Opreisningen and replicate them on my model as well, i believe they will add a nice bit to realism when it is done.

There will be plenty of plank steaming and forming and drying to be done, which honestly terrifies me a little, but i will do as i always do with these kits - i will draw out the planks so that if i fudge up one or two i can easily make replacements. I also am gonna need to order a ton of tiny nails for this boat, as the nails are a prominent part of how these boats look like, and in my opinion these boats look a bit bland without them. I will also try to stain the sails the same way the originals were stained, and i will change all the white rope work to dark ropes which look like the real ones which are tarred to withstand weather better.

I also have a lot of books about these boats to use as references, as well as possibility to travel to Norway to go and take a closer look at the real deal if need be. I also will send some emails to a few of my contacts in case they or people they know would have an old, discarded plank out of one of these boats that would be straight enough to use as a display base, i think that would be a pretty neat little detail to this kit.

let's see what comes out of this!

IMG_20230725_183250.jpg
These two great books contain a ton of helpful information about these boats, as well as a lot of very useful photos. i don't know if these are available in english though, but for me it is no problem as i speak Norwegian, but pictures alone will help a model builder a lot. also i have a pretty bunch of drawings of these boats too, some of them even hang on my walls!

IMG_20230725_183548.jpg

Thanks! I have a huge thing for these particular boats, i don't know why. I just want to build an armada of them! If this one is a success and somewhat tolerable to build, i will buy another kit and make it into a motored version - i found a rather interesting-looking one that was abandoned from norway on my latest trip, albeit it was a shorter version than a full blown åttring - i think it was a ''motorseksring''
356578745_228134583510148_2279394686804011012_n.jpg

i have now spent a little bit of time getting to know the kit and planning the build a little. i have to say, i'd gladly pay a few extra monies if billings made good hull build jigs out of mdf board like some manufacturers do. i will suggest this to billing boats directly after i have finished building this kit.

Whilst pondering about building board making for the boat i had to get something done so i carved out the oars. better than nothing, i guess. i just wish there was more, 2 pairs of oars is awee bit little for a Fembøring, should have at four or five pairs of oars.

IMG_20230727_231804.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So what was wrong with Wisløff Nordlandsboat? What stopped you !? I have put together the little boat from Wisløff and stopped half way on his Oselvar (got puzzled hot to get realistik nailing). Nordlandsboat is on the shelf, waiting.

Nothing wrong with it really, i just want to take my time with it. well, the original hull ribs/formers are asymmetric from the factory, so i remade them, and i am quite sure that if i build it as it was originally intended, the ribs/formers would break off from the keel. I will most likely build a hull making jig to make the hull on.

Going to check for symmetry in my kit. I was going to veneer the plywood edges to fake solid wood. Think the original frames were made from plywood just for that reason - not to brake. If you would play with grain direction on the frames you made it could have strengthen them. Using some other dencer wood instead of pine could have helped as well.

Thought of starting this thread as well, whilst practicing for my wisløff nordlandsboat which i am in a sort of a standstill and unsure of how to proceed with it.

The box. The box photo could maybe have been a bit better, but otherwise nice and surprisingly sturdy box! (I am gonna need a bigger boat! no wait, a bigger table, yes.)
The box contents plus paperwork that comes with the kit. Also in the box are some of my tools that i chucked in. The boat has been modeled after a fembøring named Opreisningen, which resides in a museum in Oslo.
Drawings that billing boats has in the kit, Quite nice, but as it happens, i own another drawing of the same boat;

In which some of you might see some differences without even overlaying them over each other. This means i will not try to replicate Opreisningen, but i will just build a generic and nice looking boat out of it - hopefully, that is. At least i can take approximate plank join locations out of the better drawings of Opreisningen and replicate them on my model as well, i believe they will add a nice bit to realism when it is done.

There will be plenty of plank steaming and forming and drying to be done, which honestly terrifies me a little, but i will do as i always do with these kits - i will draw out the planks so that if i fudge up one or two i can easily make replacements. I also am gonna need to order a ton of tiny nails for this boat, as the nails are a prominent part of how these boats look like, and in my opinion these boats look a bit bland without them. I will also try to stain the sails the same way the originals were stained, and i will change all the white rope work to dark ropes which look like the real ones which are tarred to withstand weather better.

I also have a lot of books about these boats to use as references, as well as possibility to travel to Norway to go and take a closer look at the real deal if need be. I also will send some emails to a few of my contacts in case they or people they know would have an old, discarded plank out of one of these boats that would be straight enough to use as a display base, i think that would be a pretty neat little detail to this kit.

let's see what comes out of this!
Hallo @Virtakuono
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your project going?

Back