Norwegian Sailing Pram from Model Shipways Building Log

The pram is complete.
Very nice! One niggling observation: No waterman would have horns (oarlocks) in their sockets except when rowing. Otherwise, they are apt to foul loose lines or body parts. Horns would have lanyards made fast somewhere near the sockets so that they were secure but could easily be put into or taken out of the sockets. See pic below showing two ways of seizing lanyards. Fair winds.

oarlocks.jpg

Very nice! One niggling observation: No waterman would have horns (oarlocks) in their sockets except when rowing. Otherwise, they are apt to foul loose lines or body parts. Horns would have lanyards made fast somewhere near the sockets so that they were secure but could easily be put into or taken out of the sockets. See pic below showing two ways of seizing lanyards. Fair winds.

View attachment 427726
Thank you for the insight. I am not a sailor by any means and it is interesting to see how things are really done!

Very nice. What's your next project
It will probably be the model expo Midwest Main Peapod lobster boat, which is on sail at half price on Amazon. One of my sons also got me a Model expo 18th century long boat for a birthday gift which looks quite a bit more complex. Whatever it is I will do a build log on it.

Last edited:
As has been noted by others the mast step gave me a bit of trouble. According to the instructions there are two pieces, one with a hole for the mast, one without. In actuality both pieces have holes for the mast and are very flimsy. I immediately broke one of the pieces and glued it together. I decided to glue both parts together and used a piece of sturdier scrap beneath them to make a 3 layer sandwich, which worked quite well,

View attachment 427230
re- fabricated mine with a thicker piece of scrap I had. Cut in with the grain lengthwise for better strength.

On reflection it seems nit picking points When I and I feel many Readers enjoyed your model and build process. I do not have knowledge of this boat but maybe the top hull side could be fitted 1st and then tapered. Allowing for second side. I do feel the keel side needs to be fitted. Then gaps can be eliminated / templates used (card). Of course there must be a well seasoned person in the Forum, who could suggest a better way, than me. But several ideas along the Dory line is in my head for curvature to shape. If I am way off please say. I’m more of an internal frame then strake build person. Good article as it made me think .

Slow steady work I am finding. I am at the Garboard and second Strake plank section on my current build. (your post #7) Thank you for the clear photos.

Back