Not the romantic view.

"In the twenty-five years between 1866 and 1890, Gloucester lost 385 schooners and 2,454 fishermen were drowned, either on those lost schooners or from capsized dories or having fallen off the widowmaker bowsprit or stuck by booms and into the icy sea with broken limbs and heads bleeding."
--from the book "Witch in the Wind; The True Story of the Legendary Bluenose".
Unusually well researched and written by Marq De Villiers, 2007. I found a used copy online and there are a couple of others still there. If you're building your own Bluenose and would like to know about the Lunenburg community that built the Bluenose and fished it, you can't do better (my opinion) .

IMG_4429 witch iin the wind.jpg

"In the twenty five years between 1866 and 1890, Gloucester lost 385 schooners and 2,454 fisherman were drowned, either on those lost schooners or from capsized dories, or having fallen off the widowmaker bowsprit or stuck by booms and into the icy sea with broken limbs and heads bleeding."
--from the book "Witch in the Wind; The True Story of the Legendary Bluenose".
Unusually well researched and written by Marq De Villiers, 2007. I found a used copy online and there are a couple of others still there. If you're building your own Bluenose and would like to know about the Lunenburg community that built the Bluenose and fished it, you can't do better (my opinion) .
Just ordered a copy through Amazon , thanks for sharing

@MikeC So true Mike. More often than not we tend to romanticize the ships that we are building. When we build gun carriages we focus on the how it is supposed to be rigged, mounted, the exact configuration in which the cannon balls were stored, names sometimes given to cannons, etc, etc. What we fail to do is to consider the operators of those cannons, their intention to maim and kill end then - of course - the devastating effect that those cannon balls would have. And "Witch in the Wind" is an all-too stark reminder of the reality. It is indeed a great book and De Villiers tells it like it was.

Back