NOTE: Latest on Pear wood from Russia.!!

As we have been discussing in several places.... I am putting this HERE so this information does not hijack a build log.

The following information is a direct quote from Sergey (in Moscow..). He was responding to my questions about shipping methods and times.

Here you go:

Hello Howard.
Your package will weigh about 2 kg. For the entire territory of the U.S., the Russian Post has a uniform shipping rate, depending on weight. 2 kg will cost about $ 35 by regular mail. An expedited method will cost about $ 55.
The bad news was told to me at the post office today. Since the restrictions related to the Covid 19 pandemic have not yet been lifted, all parcels intended for shipment abroad can be kept in customs for 2 weeks in quarantine. Therefore, at the customs will be all the parcels, both ordinary and expedited. It turns out that you get expedited 1-2 days earlier from ordinary.
Apparently the delivery will not be fast...... :( I do not know how long these restrictions will last.

Best regards Sergey

So... my guess for delivery in the USA/Canada would be about a month from date of shipment.....maybe.

Nothing can be done. Just have to “grin and bear it”.
:(Sick

I've moved this from UWE's thread.

Ordered mine from Sergey today. I found a PayPal account and password in my password spreadsheet, and I was able to log in on it. Figured out how to pay with PayPal by watching a Youtube video. I submitted the payment and everything seems to have worked fine. PayPal said he should have his money by tomorrow. PayPal figured the exchange rate for $55.00 US at 3628.33 RUB.
I told him I didn't need the plywood or the pine board as I had already cut and assembled that part, so, he could eliminate those from the order and substitute pearwood strips as replacements. I told him I don't really care if the pricing works out the same or not.
He was very accommodating regarding the order. Asked if I was truly committed to the order, he would start processing it while I figured out how to pay for it.

This is the list and pricing;
Eugene Schmidt https://shipsofscale.com/
NameSizecost per piesequantityRemaining
Pear
1Strip of pear( 1 p.)500х2.5х2.516.00 RUB651,040.00 RUB
2Strip of pear( 1 p.)500х3.2х0.814.00 RUB18252.00 RUB
3Strip of pear( 1 p.)500х6.4х0.816.00 RUB696.00 RUB
4Sheet wood of pear( 1 p.)200х75х3.2240.00 RUB1240.00 RUB
Plywood and base
1Sheet wood of plywood (1p.)500x100x390.00 RUB190.00 RUB
2Sheet wood of plywood (1p.)250x100x345.00 RUB145.00 RUB
3Board of pine500x75x20110.00 RUB1110.00 RUB
Pre total27.40 USD1,763.00 RUB
Shipping24.00 USD1,550.00 RUB
Commission of PayPal 6%3.60 USD211.00 RUB
TOTAL55.00 USD3,524.00 RUB
Eugene Schmidt
3823 Wyoming Ave SW
Wyoming MI 49519-3659
USA

EJ

A reply from Sergey -

Good news Eugene.
The money went to my PayPal, I confirm.
I am pleased to announce that your order is finished and tomorrow I will try to send it. After sending, I will give you a tracking number for tracking movements.

Best regards Sergey

Now, like everyone else, just wait. It took 8 weeks for me to get some braided wire rigging for my "Lightning" sailboat - from Australia.

We'll see how this goes.

EJ

Last edited: Yesterday at 9:21 PM
canoe-signature-02.png

Fair Winds and Following Seas
EJ
1593106023848.gif

From Sergey -

Today at 8:23 AM
Hi Eugene.
There are two news. Good and bad.
The good news is that your package has been sent. Track number RR076930995RU . You can observe the movements on the website of the Russian Postal Service https://www.pochta.ru/tracking#RR076930995RU or on other mail services.
The bad news was told to me at the post office today. Since the restrictions related to the Covid 19 pandemic have not yet been lifted, all parcels intended for shipment abroad can be kept in customs for 2 weeks in quarantine.
Apparently the delivery will not be fast. :(

Best regards Sergey

My reply -

Not unexpected.
I waited for 8 weeks for a spool of wire to arrive from Australia. Guess I just need to be patient. Good things are worth the wait.

I'll keep you posted when it gets here.

Thanks for letting me know.

EJ

Attachments

• 1593106504730.png
    1593106504730.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 1
Latest update from Russia.....

Just received a message from Sergey. He tells me that he has just shipped my order, and has given me a tracking number. For anyone who doubted him, let me say..... THAT man is on the ball. I paid him by PayPal on Thursday evening. It is now VERY early on Saturday. So, less than 1 1/2 days to prepare and ship.!! I cannot say enough good things about the level of service.!!

Everything else will have to wait until I receive my order, but I expect all will be fine..
Now the waiting begins.....

THAT man is on the ball. I paid him by PayPal on Thursday evening. It is now VERY early on Saturday. So, less than 1 1/2 days to prepare and ship.!! I cannot say enough good things about the level of service.!!
You will be thrilled by the quality of timber in your package. Sergey is the skilled model shipbuilder, he knows what wood we need and strives for quality and precision.

You will be thrilled by the quality of timber in your package. Sergey is the skilled model shipbuilder, he knows what wood we need and strives for quality and precision.

I have no doubt about his dedication.! His wood pricing is fine. The level of service is great.!! I ordered the canoe package. I also ordered some extra Pear planks...just to have on hand.!
My only hesitation has been about the shipping. Costs are high and delivery times are unknown. But, what can you do.??? I have accepted it, and am now waiting just like everyone else who chose to order Pear wood from Russia.!!
C'est la vie.!!

Ask why book from Russia when you can book from USA, Lumberyard, Dave Stevens.
I bet he can deliver the same materials.
I think it must be easier to book from the US when you live in the US yourself.
Hilsen-

The latest on my order from Sergey

July 27, 2020, 12:27 pm
Processed Through Facility
ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) at 12:27 pm on July 27, 2020.

EJ

BOOM !!!
It's time to rejoice..... I just now received my first package from RUSSIA.!!! Sergey sent my order in two packages (slight packaging error on his end..), this is the first to arrive.!! One more to go....hopefully in the next 2-3 days (well,.....maybe.??).

Words cannot describe how happy I am to see this. Not only because it's my pear wood, but it's the first package I've EVER received from Russia.!!!!!

fullsizeoutput_188.jpeg

Last edited:
WOW! Just got this notice from the USPS. Looking forward to this today.

August 21, 2020, 8:57 am
Out for Delivery
WYOMING, MI 49519
Your item is out for delivery on August 21, 2020 at 8:57 am in WYOMING, MI 49519.
August 21, 2020, 7:23 am
Arrived at Unit
WYOMING, MI 49509
August 20, 2020, 6:02 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
GRAND RAPIDS MI DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX

EJ

It Came! 8 weeks and 2 days. Aged wood.

The mail carrier was looking it over pretty good when she dropped it off.

Package in good shape.

UrUoE92.jpg

eoWOt4j.jpg

20OZ45l.jpg

When I placed the order I told him I didn't need the building base board or the ply for the station molds, to just leave them out and toss in some exrea sticks.

So, I got 10 extra 3/32" square (planking), 18 extra 1/8" X 1/32" (ribs inside keel), and 4 extra 1/4" X 1/32" (Keel & gunwales).

NICE. Looks very good. Very clean and accurate machining.

gVN6qK7.jpg

MZwmC0Q.jpg

I'll be interested in seeing how this wood "works". Nice color, similar to the cherry.

Back