Now I'm a little confused with the bow planking

When I line out the hull one of the sections comes to a point before it reaches the stem. All the tutorials I've read say that planks must lay naturally. This won't work in this case so I must be misunderstanding something. Is it that the planks should lay naturally "after" they are spiled?DSC04466.JPG

Hi Don "must lay naturally" is a rule of thumb for very thin planks otherwise the edges will cup. Usually refers to second layer planking on kit models. On full sized ships the planking was bent in both directions to eliminate what you have shown. Move the ends of the lower two lines or spiling lines down a little to even out the spaces on the stem. You will have to fit joggle planks and the planks bent edge ways somewhat.
Looking good.
Allan

i agree with Allan

the 2 belts of planking under the wales should not come together to a point and from what i can see the bottom belt is a bit to high on the stem.

someone did a lining off the hull somewhere on the forum but heck if i can find it

here are another examples i found on the forum note the space of the belts at the bow.

as far as planks laying natural that is the planks are cut and shaped to conform naturally to the shape of the hull so they do not buckle or have to be bent edgewise

lineoff.jpeg
line2.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a very bluff bow, it's very close to a semi circle at the forecastle. Where I seem to be having trouble is the three points where the lines hit the stem. I can move them around a fair amount and still have it look reasonable. I'll go though my method and see if you can see any errors.
I lined it out into four equal sections. Determined that there are five planks per section with 1/4" planks. At the stem for the first section under the wale I assumed that I would need full taper so 5 1/8" makes the first section 5/8" at the stem. That's where I am in this picture. Nothing glued. Darn clamp is in the way but maybe you can see how the planks are laying.

DSC04467.JPG

Now I get confused. The next section is very close to the first at (I think) about 5/8" but as I go further down the stem to the third and fourth section the planks are hitting the stem at a decreasing angle so I need to leave more room. So I guess it's the curve of the stem that's messing me up. I'm thinking as I'm writing so my thoughts may wander. Should I be marking the points on the stem equidistant (vertically) from the wale to the keel/rabbet? Anyway thanks for the help. Merry Christmas:)

here are another examples i found on the forum note the space of the belts at the bow.

as far as planks laying natural that is the planks are cut and shaped to conform naturally to the shape of the hull so they do not buckle or have to be bent edgewise

View attachment 277992
View attachment 277993
Dave do you have a link to this build? It looks like I could learn something there. Sure wish I knew how you guys find this stuff.

Dave do you have a link to this build? It looks like I could learn something there. Sure wish I knew how you guys find this stuff.
here it is

here it is

Perfect, I happened upon the other here
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/syren-1803-1-64-model-shipways.7779/

Back