OcCre Bounty Launch 1:24 - first build

Hallo @MadNav
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
We hope, that you are still working on your first build ...... hope to see some progress - keep in mind, that the beginning is not easy
Hallo Uwek!
It's my birthday again tomorrow, and I don't know where the time has gone! I've had quite a busy time with setting up my business since my last post so now things are calming down slightly I am planning to get back on with the Launch. I may have completely forgotten everything now, including where I put the box! I'm sure it was here somewhere.
Anyhow up to now no updates on the Launch however I plan to get working next week hopefully!

New year new hobby, I finally took the plunge and got a plank on frame kit! With our 3rd lockdown in the UK I thought this would e an ideal time to knuckle down and start a long dreamt hobby.
To do this I chose the OcCre Bounty Launch1:24. This is rated at a low difficulty by OcCre so sounds perfect for myself. A bit more information about the kit:
She is 435mm long, 100mm wide and 260mm tall
Twin masted
Double planked
and at the moment that is all I can tell you.
The short story on the booklet quotes "Following mutiny on the Bounty, Captain Bligh, along with 18 loyal members of the crew were cast adrift in the launch, and made a remarkable voyage to the island or Timor, after spending 41 days in the worst possible conditions." - They were some hardy men

The first picture is of the contents of the kit of which I have a few questions:
In the part list it says I should have 35 2x5x400 planks for the lining strakes however I counted 47? Is it normal to get extra as I cannot find anything with similar dimensions that would require an extra 12 planks
There are no 2x3x200 planks however I have extra 2x3x400 planks so are these the parts I am looking for?
And finally what's the best way to stop the boat rocking s at the moment it sits on its keel but is very unsteady

The second pic is of my dry fit which was really good, everything was level after sanding the bits that hold it in the tray of parts off

View attachment 205690View attachment 205691
Hallo @MadNav
We wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Now I'm getting the Launch back out, I'm still bending the planking. My makeshift steam bender has been repurposed so until I can build another I'm looking for other options to bend the planks, does anyone have any ideas? I've read about hair curlers so I may be able to give them a go but obviously I have no experience with them! Has anyone used them before or got any tips?

Thanks

My dad may have provided me with a solution to my planking issue, well strictly speaking the repair shop did. They bent a sheet of wood by soaking it overnight, then using an iron on low to heat it up and it worked a treat! I will definity be using this approach from now on, I just need a bottle of water full of planks! I now have 4 planks on either side and I've run out of space for the clamps so will be using thumb pins from now on. IMG_20220620_222208.jpg

Today has been very busy for the launch. I've reached the stage now where the clips no longer fit so I was going to try pins. The only ones we have only have rounded heads however. So I opted for clothes pegs instead. I'm also at the stage where the planks no longer need heating, but I will be keeping them soaked as this did help with the flexing and when they dried they dried moderately bent. Got 6 planks now on each side and I estimate after the next 2 I will be onto shaping them to fit. Then sanding it all down and onto the second layer.

IMG_20220621_093101.jpg

IMG_20220621_133255.jpg

IMG_20220621_172505.jpg

IMG_20220621_215953.jpg

IMG_20220621_221010.jpg

The last 2 full planks are on! Yes they are gluing but they are on. I kept the planks soaking and shaped them in the conservatory. This dried them so quick and they were so precisely shaped. This is going to need so much filler and sanding but it has been a major learning curve.IMG_20220622_215145.jpgIMG_20220622_220619.jpg

@MadNav looking good. The next several planks look like a challenge similar to what I faced on my Galilee build. That is they must bend, curve and twist as well as have both ends shaped to fit. Also the edges required beveling to avoid cracks between the planks. It took me a lot of time and I had to make multiple attempts on several, re-using the botched planks where they could be shortened to fit later on.

Keep up the good work!
Glenn

Thanks GAStan, I'm hoping they don't need too much bending and concentrate on the shaping. I've not been beveling the planks so this will be new and exciting!

Had a busy weekend watching the F1 and a busy week before with work but now back onto to Launch. Thinking it had gone well I took all the pegs and clamps off for the bottom 2 planks I'd just glued popped off! Then, reapplying them The top 2 planks then also popped off too. So unfortunately I had both hands and all the clamps on the boat so no pictures this time. Hopefully my new secret weapon (track pins from my train set) will keep it all down.

Back